Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ancient light - Lynx quasar APM 08279+5255

nytecam

Perportedly the remotest object visible in amateur scopes, the grav-lensed quasar is 12BLY away at mag 15.2 [R].  The light arriving at the telescope is nearly three times older than earth !

I've added a timeline to my brief image below taken recently with my piggybacked DIY 10cm f/4.5 Lensless Schmidt + SX Lodestar-Cx2 cam as prime imager here from the London suburbs - don't let LP curtails my skywatching.  Hope it's of interest :police:

post-21003-0-37545000-1416916869.jpg

Thanks everyone for your interest and support - much appreciated :police:  Been targeting this quasar most autumns since 2007 when high in the east in the evening - even with a tiny ETX-70 :eek:

Inspirational.   Not quite all the way back to the big beginning, but pretty damn close!  Far out indeed...

Hi Chinapig - no you can't see the Big Bang as it's redshifted into microwave radiation but you can hear it if you detune an old TV off-station as a hiss !

Too late to make a claim - it went to Penzias and Wilson discovery in 1965 of the 2.725 K Cosmic Microwave Background radiation (CMB) which pervades the observable universe with their joint Nobel Prize in 1978  :smiley:  

Archived