Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier Objects in London

dick_dangerous

Hi All,

Another member posted up a thread about how many Messier objects people have seen. I've managed 106 so far (Numbers 74, 79, 83 and 102 if you count it not yet found), and I got thinking about how many of those were visible under the perma-glow of the outer London skies.

I looked back over my notes and worked out how many I have actually spotted from the park, with either my little refractor or my 6'' Dob, and the number of objects its possible to see is a staggeringly large 88. In fact the ones I haven't managed to find in the park (Excluding the ones I haven't found at all) are easier to enumerate:

• M16 - The Eagle Nebula - cluster is visible, to be fair, just not the nebula. That's visible with the 3'' from a dark site.
  • M33 - Triangulum Galaxy - easy in the New Forest, invisible in London
  • M55 - Only seen it from Southern Spain in the refractor
  • M68 - Only seen it from Cornwall
  • M74 - Thought I might have found it, personally not convinced but haven't had a sufficiently clear night to have another crack at it since Early Nov.
  • M101 - Pinwheel Galaxy - same story as M33

Further more, there's a slew of objects that I've not attempted from Bushy Park (But seen from other places fine), so they may well be visible - 51 (Whirlpool Galaxy), 61, 78, 85, 88, 91, 97 (Owl Nebula), 98, 99, 100, 106, 108, 109.

I hope this is encouragement for all you urban dwellers that there are at least 88 Messiers up for grabs (Plus the other stuff I've racked up with the 'scopes).

I also hope this is also a challenge to see if you can spot those I haven't under a light polluted sky! It doesn't count if it's properly dark sky though... :cool:

DD

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this is encouragement for all you urban dwellers that there are at least 88 Messiers up for grabs (Plus the other stuff I've racked up with the 'scopes).

I also hope this is also a challenge to see if you can spot those I haven't under a light polluted sky! It doesn't count if it's properly dark sky though... :cool:

DD

:headbang:

Phenomenal dedication, patience, and spirit, D.D. Excellent going  :icon_salut: 

• 1 month later...

This is absolutely the inspiration I have been looking for. I have just bought a copy of 'Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas' (No more relying on iPhone batteries to find anything in the sky!) And was wondering how much of the Messier list might be possible from Ealing (Lammas Park seems to be a tiny dark sky pocket)

I notice you have a Skywatcher 150mm Dob. I'm currently using the 130mm Heritage Dob. I'm guessing it wont quite manage as much, but.. Do you think a fair few will be doable from a 5" scope?

This is absolutely the inspiration I have been looking for. I have just bought a copy of 'Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas' (No more relying on iPhone batteries to find anything in the sky!) And was wondering how much of the Messier list might be possible from Ealing (Lammas Park seems to be a tiny dark sky pocket)

I notice you have a Skywatcher 150mm Dob. I'm currently using the 130mm Heritage Dob. I'm guessing it wont quite manage as much, but.. Do you think a fair few will be doable from a 5" scope?

Glad to inspire fellow astronomers stuck under the London skyglow. Ealing's worse for Light Pollution than round here but it's better than central London. I have friends who very close to Lammas Park, so I know it well - I think they do bat walks in nearby Walpole Park in the summer.

My extra inch gives me a slight advantage in the light-gathering stakes, but from a dark site, the Heritage 130 is capable of finding the entire list, and lots, lots more. It has the advantage that it's rather more portable too, so can be taken easily on camping trips and the like. I started in London with a 3'' refractor that has since become my travel-scope. It's very capable even in the park and yielded a surprising number of objects - under dark skies I can find all sorts with it. Looking for the high surface brightness objects helps - The Eskimo Nebula in Gemini is a brilliant one to look for at this time of year, and most of the open clusters are easy enough to find.

Since posting this, I've actually added two more to this list - M78 and M79, taking the total to 90. Not bad considering the unfavourable conditions!

DD

Thanks for the advice!

I'll keep cracking away at it.. I'm sure i'll find a load more with a healthy dose of perseverance.

Also I'm hoping to book a camping trip in Wales this summer so hopefully will get some clear skies in a dark sky site then! Until that happens, is there any other places that you would recommend within an hours drive of Ealing? Now I've finally passed the driving test it's possible to get somewhere pretty easily (If the wife gives me time off from her and our little one that is!)

Thanks,

Ianladd

Thanks for the advice!

I'll keep cracking away at it.. I'm sure i'll find a load more with a healthy dose of perseverance.

Also I'm hoping to book a camping trip in Wales this summer so hopefully will get some clear skies in a dark sky site then! Until that happens, is there any other places that you would recommend within an hours drive of Ealing? Now I've finally passed the driving test it's possible to get somewhere pretty easily (If the wife gives me time off from her and our little one that is!)

Thanks,

Ianladd

Wales will be very dark indeed, depending on where you are - I'm going on a trip to Skomer in May and it'll be pitch black there (Will need protection from low-flying shearwaters though). Closer to home, as Peter suggests, the North Downs has some darker spots - try Ranmore Common, about an hour from Ealing. Or alternatively you could head up the M40 into the Chilterns.

Probably head west, I know some sites round guildford and dorking, but probably a bit far? Get in touch with your local club, they ought to be able to help.

DD being inspiring as always!

Cheers

PEterW

Thanks! It's literally my job to inspire people!

by the way.. the removed word wasn't four letters.. way to make me look foul mouthed forum settings!

Don't worry, it always censors my user name when people reply to me!

DD

Ranmore Common. Perfect! It's just round the corner from Tanners Hatch Youth Hostel which I've been meaning to visit for a good while.. Either way a two hour round trip looks reasonable enough even for a late set off if the weather's clear.

Thanks again for the help guys :)

Check with guildford AS who use new lands corner and Albury heath. Many people here use ranmore. Check the Surrey group.

I tend to Starparty on the Isle of wight, catering and dark skies. Grab dark skies opportunities when they arise and make sure the moon is not about!!!

Cheers

Peter

DD, well done for getting all these messiers from Teddington. I know bushey park well and when I was growing up the Hampton Hill end was pretty dark. I do remember M31 being an easy naked eye object. I still know a few astromers down that way if you would like to meet up.

Cheers 

Ian 

Not anymore, the summit of the hill is bedecked with streetlights that shine into the park. No hint of the Milky Way. I will have to venture further in when I next do some observing. Should be able to escape the lights, just have to watch out for rabbits and deer.mif we could get (better than) full cut off lights and a council that turns the, down or off after 11pm we might be able to get some of it back.

Cheers

PeterW

Archived