SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC7000 North American Nebula

Virgoman

Hi all. I am just posting my first ever image of The North American Nebula - one of a few attempts at imaging different targets as I take a few wobbly steps into the world of deep sky imaging - so please be gentle!! This was taken last night  after, as has been the common experience of many, seemingly endless, hopeless weather conditions. This is one of the first images taken with my newly modified Canon DSLR which was coupled to my Skywatcher ED80 fitted with a focal reducer. The whole caboodle was mounted on an HEQ5PRO and guided with a miniguider/ZWO120MM combo. Anyway see attached  - warts and all! Many thanks and, hopefully, clear skies! :smiley:

Best regards,

Ralph

post-4992-0-57546700-1416864827_thumb.jp

Congratulations on taking those first tentative steps on the Deep Sky ladder Ralph. I think you've done well with this image. Stars are pretty good in shape and some nice nebulosity showing. Well done.

Pete

Many thanks for taking the time to reply Pete and for your very valuable comments which are very welcome :smiley:  - I only had the camera mod done recently and I was itching to try it.  I took 30 subs at 2min each and about 20 darks. No flats. Also had trouble with the miniguider fogging up :sad:and  PHD crashed a few times as well :huh: . Add in light pollution from the neighbours and the council and its...well....oh dear!......I used my Skywatcher light pollution filter but am thinking of getting a clip-in one. Would this be sensible?

Best regards,

Ralph

Thank you Fordos. I love the aspect of your image. Only struck me later that I probably should have turned the camera to get more of Mexico and the Eastern seaboard in...lol!! Just so anxious to have a go such things were lost in the frantic mix!! M42 in Orion beckoned - and I had a go but don`t think they are too good - light pollution down Orion`s way is awful :sad: . That`s why I went for good old Cygnus - up near the zenith! Can I ask if you use any LPR filter(s) - can you recommend one?

Best regards,

Ralph

Thank you Fordos. I love the aspect of your image. Only struck me later that I probably should have turned the camera to get more of Mexico and the Eastern seaboard in...lol!! Just so anxious to have a go such things were lost in the frantic mix!! M42 in Orion beckoned - and I had a go but don`t think they are too good - light pollution down Orion`s way is awful :sad: . That`s why I went for good old Cygnus - up near the zenith! Can I ask if you use any LPR filter(s) - can you recommend one?

Best regards,

Ralph

I use the Astronomik CCD CLS filter - depending on what modification you have on your camera the standard Astronomik CLS filter can be just as effective and is slightly cheaper.

Archived