Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just bought a new observing site!

Paul M

Well, kind of...

We've just shook hands on a new caravan deal. It's on the same site where we already own a static in Rural Cumbria but will be on a different pitch.

Had a choice of two pitches. One with an unobstructed view to the north but with the lights of Penrith on the horizon (as with our current pitch). Or a pitch with an unobstructed view (round the back) of a very, very dark southern horizon. The land rises towards the Shap Fells in that direction so I can't see down to zero deg altitude. Only a few degrees off though!

The choice was only partly directed by astronomical considerations but we opted for the rear southerly aspect. Nice to sit on the decking in the sun and it's out of sight for me to set the telescope up. Best of both worlds :)

Some work needs doing on site but it's hoped that by the time we get back there in 3 weeks the new caravan will be pitched and connected and ready to move in.

The decking will follow in spring. 

So I'm hoping to put some more miles on Ye Olde Fullerscope this winter. Once the decking is done I might even ship the 10" and EQ6 up there! :D

Having said that, I've already been asked "will that thing be moving with us?" - referring to the Fullerscope MkIII mount under a tarp on our existing decking! :o

Can you talk the site owner into letting you have a small observatory?

There isn't room within the bounds of our designated pitch but I joked about putting one on the central green out side our new pitch. 

I already know that the site owner's brother is a professional astronomer!

It's unlikely to happen but you never know. As it is we've already emptied our pockets to get the caravan. It's a dear business this caravan lark  :eek:

Great plan Paul, I can see that getting a lot of use. My parents used to live in a small village, Kirkoswald in the Eden Valley, between Penrith and Carlise, fabulously dark skies between the Northern Pennines and the Lakeland hills. 

There isn't room within the bounds of our designated pitch but I joked about putting one on the central green out side our new pitch. 

I already know that the site owner's brother is a professional astronomer!

It's unlikely to happen but you never know. As it is we've already emptied our pockets to get the caravan. It's a dear business this caravan lark  :eek:

Let us know if you intned doing any holiday letting  :grin:

Let us know if you intned doing any holiday letting  :grin:

It's strictly against site policy! :) 

Go to say that we all see that as a bonus.

We tried a few times when we first got our current caravan which was then on a different site. Didn't like having the fuss of having to get it ready for others to use. One lot even winged because we'd only got Aldi own brand beans in the cupboard. That was the final straw!

Having friends stay over is fine but we are usually there to supervise them!

Unfortunately there is no space for tourers or tents so star parties are out of the question too. Well, other than occasional BBQ's which usually become a stargazing session as  darkness falls :)

• 4 weeks later...

The deed is done!

We took possession of the new place over the weekend.

Spent 2 days shipping gear the short distance up the hill from the old place. Ye Olde Fullerscope is now resting in it's new home - the wardrobe in the second bedroom. I thought there might have been kickback from the military but it went smoothly :)

It's most definitely dark to the south. Not a direction I could easily access from the old pitch. However, being more elevated, Penrith is more exposed on the northern horizon from our new pitch. It is 5 miles away so not too imposing.

It's off season now so very few people staying on site. No doubt there will be stray light from other caravans come the spring.

I know one of our immediate neighbour well, He's just upgraded from "the estate" same as we have. He's frugal and won't have flood lights on at all hours.

We don't know the other neighbour, he relatively new to the site. There is no sign of any outdoor lighting on his pitch. 

So hopefully the dark sky will be safe for the time being.

It rained heavilly for 8 hours solid over night last night and was very stormy. No chance of seeing any stars...

Excellent! Whatever the weather it's a lovely location. Rain soaked areas require an opportunistic attitude... :D

As the caravans are so low, if it were me I would put up some discrete hooks and a pole fixed into a heavy patio base so that you can rig up screening in minutes if you need to shield the observing site from light pollution.

Excellent! Whatever the weather it's a lovely location. Rain soaked areas require an opportunistic attitude... :D

As the caravans are so low, if it were me I would put up some discrete hooks and a pole fixed into a heavy patio base so that you can rig up screening in minutes if you need to shield the observing site from light pollution.

That is plan "A" if I have any problems.

I can always find somewhere on site to avoid any stray light.

I've already educated many of our friends on the site with our BBQ's which always become a star gazing session (weather permitting).

I'll just have to extend the invite list to our new neighbourhood. Educate them early! :)

Nothing beats a decent caravan park for astronomy :) Have fun. Its a great idea and can work out very well.

I've been doing astro imaging from the patio in front of our caravan for last 10 years. A few years ago the site got a new owner and I took a chance and asked about setting up an observatory - answer was "yes" and he got his sons to dig the pier hole and mix up and fill the concrete base for a reasonable fee. Its finished off very neatly with the pier fitted onto 4 bolts set in the concrete. There is lighting on the site (little globe lights) but I'm allowed to put balaclavas on them :)

Archived