SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st attempt at M57

sooty

Hi Sooty, I am no expert myself as I am just started out, but I would guess that the lines are a result of poor tracking - i.e. stars drifting. Whereas a kink in the lines is more likely to be something jogging the mount. Did you polar align properly and was there antything nearby that could have jogged the tripod/mount?

Polar alignment seemed ok,2 star alignment was more or less spot on.Just had a quick go tonight,and i was moving about why the exposure was taken.Will try and have another go later in the week,work/weather permitting.

Thanks.

Sooty.

The Mak is mounted on a HEQ5 synscan,was just prime focus,no guiding or reducer.It is mounted on a permanent pier.

It took me weeks to polar align due to the weather,and i thought id got it.Obviosly not.lol.

Sooty.

Looks like backlash flop..

Try biasing the balance to keep the gears engaged

I'd have a look at this - I've managed 20minute subs at 1350mm on an EQ6 with PHD guiding.. so it's all about the setup and balance.

If you can get to 5 minutes you're onto a winner - this was at 1350mm IIRC, deconvoluted and then drizzle stacked manually before PI had that option:

post-9952-0-76533700-1343286865_thumb.pn
I tried a 5 minute 'squeeze' to attempt to undo some of the motion blur:
post-9952-0-72724000-1417078890_thumb.pn

You've got a 2700 mm FL scope on a HEQ5. While it may be OK (Just) for visual, for imaging you are into a world of pain. From your image I see tracking errors and probably vibration as well. It's also painfully slow at f/15.

If you really must image with a 180 Mak-Cass then put it on a serious mount (Mesu and up) and use an OAG.

Thanks all, for the reply's.

Will probably save for a ED80 or simular to use for photography,and keep the Mak for visual.

Thanks again for the advice/help.

Regards,

Sooty.

Thats a great idea :)

To be honest I'm surprised you got what you did with such huge focal length and really slow f/15!

You wait my friend, do exactly the same thing with a fast refractor or newt and you won't believe the difference! :)

One thing I'll add as I think my last post was a little harsh, you could try planetary imaging with a good webcam. With that FL you probably won't need a barlow. You might even be able to use your (Yet to be bought) guide camera.

One thing I'll add as I think my last post was a little harsh, you could try planetary imaging with a good webcam. With that FL you probably won't need a barlow. You might even be able to use your (Yet to be bought) guide camera

1 thing at a time DaveS,haha.There's always the lottery i suppose!

Can see this being a steep,steep, learning curve if i get the imaging bug.

I always seem to struggle regarding the balance,ie eyepiece lighter than camera etc.

And don't quite understand the bit about keeping the gears engaged. West side heavy?

Sooty.

Archived