Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to SGL - but I'm a big comet fan

Hi I'm Tony from just north of Leeds. New to SGL. I've been imaging comets on and off over the years. Just thought I'd share a handful that I've taken over the years.

This one is comet C/2001 Q4 (NEAT) - this was my first successful comet imaged though a telescope (back in 2004). It had the added bonus that I was imaging on the road side in what I thought was a quiet place above Swinsty reservoir. Turned out it was too close to that ""secret"" electronic eavesdropping base at M e n w I t h   H i l l (near Harrogate) so I attracted one of the police patrols who turned up and shone great big headlights at me - two large silhouettes  advanced from the vehicle and when they saw me unscrewing the counterweight arm with weight attached in a defensive posture said "ah sorry sir we should have said we are the police". I honestly thought I was about to have stuff nicked. Anyway after a chat and me showing them the comet in binoculars they hung around with their own binns peeking at the comet and regaling me with UFO sightings they had made while doing their lonely patrol over the years. I had to be careful not to laugh too much.

Anyway by the time they had gone that comet was a bit low - this is 6 comet images sort of "stacked". I redid the star field  a couple of years later. The comet was passing right next to M44 - so lucky first try with my Canon 10D (more details on the astrobin write up)

get.jpg

Anyway wind forwards to 2013 and it just happened that comet Lovejoy the 4th was trundling near to M44 - I missed the chance for the "double" as it was cloudy on the night - but here it is a few days later just above Leo's Sickle asterism. Same scope used too - but the camera is now a canon 450D and not the noisy beast that the Canon 10D was - ha ha 

get.jpg

So that's a 9 year gap - hopefully I've improved - I've many comets in between lurking on my computer. I'm cleaning a few of the best up before I post them to Astrobin

(when I get time !!! )

Here's a few of the cleaned up ones from the archives:

get.jpgget.jpgget.jpg

Enjoy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived