Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laptop Power

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I have not had any experience with one.

However; from a professional aspect I am always wary when the website depicts ridiculous use of the English language.

Especially when they state that they are a UK outfit.

Quote,  Power the laptop directly when moving away battery.

Quote, Good choice to take it for outdoor camping trip.
10. Hot sells in Japan.

But it could be a great product, IDK

I use lithium polymer batteries extensively in my 'other hobby' and would be extremely surprised  nay - amazed - if that battery pack is anything live 24000 mah - looking at the physical size I would suggest 5000  - 7000 as a more realistic expectation. (and even that's generous!)

If you are using a 12v battery to power your mount etc then a car adapter charger might be worth considering ???

I use lithium polymer batteries extensively in my 'other hobby' and would be extremely surprised  nay - amazed - if that battery pack is anything live 24000 mah - looking at the physical size I would suggest 5000  - 7000 as a more realistic expectation. (and even that's generous!)

If you are using a 12v battery to power your mount etc then a car adapter charger might be worth considering ???

Um, I have a similar cheap Lithium Poly battery for the mount. I really just need another battery that will power a laptop for a reasonable time beyond the internal battery. It has to be not heavy as I'll have to carry everything from my 2nd floor flat. Dew prevention will also need some power...

Louise

Hi,

Why not just get a 12v power supply for your specific laptop,,assuming you will,have 12v power available in the field, I have one for mine, just a little cigar lighter plug with a 12 to 19v inverter electronics inside, they are available for most laptops

Something like this, although there are versions available here in the UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Universal-Auto-Power-DC-12V-24V-80W-Charger-Adapter-for-Notebook-Laptop-NEW-/151318168208?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item233b440290

:)

SS

Hi,

Why not just get a 12v power supply for your specific laptop,,assuming you will,have 12v power available in the field, I have one for mine, just a little cigar lighter plug with a 12 to 19v inverter electronics inside, they are available for most laptops

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Universal-Auto-Power-DC-12V-24V-80W-Charger-Adapter-for-Notebook-Laptop-NEW-/151318168208?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item233b440290

SS

Um nothing to plug it into...

Lots of our group use a leisure battery, which can then supply 12v to an inverter for laptop supply. If you search on SGL then you will probably see some of the projects completed (this is one on our forum http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7138-my-diy-telescope-power-supply/?hl=%2Bsupply+%2Bproject ).

The cost will be similar to the supply for just your laptop. The inverters are cheap c£20 and are very reliable now. Leisure batteries are made differently to car batteries as they are designed to release charge over a long period rather than the instant demand placed on a car battery. So you would be able to run your whole setup off this

Lots of our group use a leisure battery, which can then supply 12v to an inverter for laptop supply. If you search on SGL then you will probably see some of the projects completed (this is one on our forum http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/7138-my-diy-telescope-power-supply/?hl=%2Bsupply+%2Bproject ).

The cost will be similar to the supply for just your laptop. The inverters are cheap c£20 and are very reliable now. Leisure batteries are made differently to car batteries as they are designed to release charge over a long period rather than the instant demand placed on a car battery. So you would be able to run your whole setup off this

Unfortunately I think a leisure battery would be too heavy for me to carry, along with everything else. I'm trying to keep the batteries as lightweight as possible.

Hi, although you don't as yet have a laptop, when you do, if the main issue is weight rather than outright cost why not consider 1 or 2 spare batteries just for the laptop, they only weigh about a pound each and would easily fit into your laptop bag. (4800mah)

I can't remember if you have a window overlooking your observing position, but if you have, then a long outdoor extension lead or even a more permanent outdoor plug socket might be more convenient in the long run. (I've had no problems with leaving a protected lead in an old dustbin for years).

Hi,

SS

I used to use one of those 12 volt adapters, (as in the eBay link), on a Toshiba 1200 (CPU: 8086 / RAM: 640k / HDD: 20 MB / MS-DOS 3.3x or PC-DOS 4.0x), it was ok. A few years later I upgraded to a Toshiba or Compaq 386 (cannot remember the exact specs, got a bit to warm for my liking).

Anyway to sum up, I would go for the OEM rather than a third party one. I have a third party PSU/adaptor on my MS-Windows/Linux laptop and I think it has played havoc with the GPU chipset...

Hi, although you don't as yet have a laptop, when you do, if the main issue is weight rather than outright cost why not consider 1 or 2 spare batteries just for the laptop, they only weigh about a pound each and would easily fit into your laptop bag. (4800mah)

I can't remember if you have a window overlooking your observing position, but if you have, then a long outdoor extension lead or even a more permanent outdoor plug socket might be more convenient in the long run. (I've had no problems with leaving a protected lead in an old dustbin for years).

Hi

I don't think changing laptop batteries in the dark would end well... Besides, I wouldn't want to have to setup all the software from scratch, especially not the guiding. Um, no, I wouldn't be able to run a mains lead from a 2nd floor window. Anyway, I plan to be some 10 minutes walk away...

Louise

Hi again

Does anyone know if laptops with separate graphics cards can manage power by disabling the graphics card (and enabling the Intel HD onboard graphics instead)? It would be logical to be able to do that to save battery life...

I'm thinking of something like a Lenovo Z50-70 which has Nvidia graphics. I can't find anything definitive...

Louise

Hi again

Does anyone know if laptops with separate graphics cards can manage power by disabling the graphics card (and enabling the Intel HD onboard graphics instead)? It would be logical to be able to do that to save battery life...

I'm thinking of something like a Lenovo Z50-70 which has Nvidia graphics. I can't find anything definitive...

Louise

no, it does not work like that, the lap top will have either a intel  graphic chipset or a third part graphic chipset like Nvidia as mentioned,  not both.

Its different on desktops where you will find motherboards with built in graphics chips, but they can be turned off and another graphic card installed

no, it does not work like that, the lap top will have either a intel  graphic chipset or a third part graphic chipset like Nvidia as mentioned,  not both.

Its different on desktops where you will find motherboards with built in graphics chips, but they can be turned off and another graphic card installed

Hmm... I got a reply on Amazon from a user who said he was able to switch between the two but had installed Linux. Confused now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dedicated-graphics-disabled-save-battery/forum/Fx390JFQ7PCEXYH/Tx3MXFWKCCV1LT9/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00LLE6RW4

Louise

Hi again

Louise

Although I don't think it applies to the Lenovo Z50-70 some laptops have two graphics processors (GPUs) one of which can be powered down when running in low power mode rather than being disabled.

ETA Looks like the  Lenovo Z50-70 does have this config.

From what I remember it is not like a PC where you have two separate graphics cards but you have two GPUs one of which does 2D graphics and the high power one which does 3D graphics.  

Although I don't think it applies to the Lenovo Z50-70 some laptops have two graphics processors (GPUs) one of which can be powered down when running in low power mode rather than being disabled.

ETA Looks like the  Lenovo Z50-70 does have this config.

From what I remember it is not like a PC where you have two separate graphics cards but you have two GPUs one of which does 2D graphics and the high power one which does 3D graphics.  

I'm still a bit confused... However, Nvidia says it can 'transition seamlessly' between dedicated and Intel HD http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-840m/features so maybe it just does that automatically anyway. It looks like it wouldn't be worse off in terms of battery power to have dedicated graphics http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/optimus/technology But... the laptop only has 'up to 4hrs' battery life which doesn't seem a lot so I might still need extra battery power. Mind you, I can't see me standing out in the cold for much more than a couple of hours, lol. I've been doing AP for almost a year now but getting everything together to get outside feels a bit like learning to swim! It doesn't help that I've never owned a laptop before. Used them, of course. And mobile technology is constantly changing - hard to keep up!

Louise

Hi Louise,

This might help if you have time to reconsider;

"Lenovo's X200 ThinkPad series is synonymous with portable productivity, and the X240 lets you get more done than ever without rushing to the nearest outlet. This lightweight laptop's built-in battery provides a good 7 hours and 40 minutes of juice, which stretches to a whopping 20 hours and 28 minutes when you upgrade from its 3-cell to its 6-cell battery. This endurance is the most we've ever gotten from a laptop without a sheet battery attached to the bottom, and makes the X240 the perfect productivity companion."

Steve

Archived