SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mu Cephie

Crossway

What a delightful sight this DSO is  when observed with the benefit of a crystal clear sky as it was last night here in rural Northumberland.  It is said to vary between Mag 3.6 and 5.1  with no detectable period  but I would say that  it   is currrently at maximum now.  I was using my 10 X 50s .

Later, I  made a determined effort to spot M33 ....this time with the binos on a rigid support and once again failed.  It is certainly a most elusive object and yet some folks seem to have no trouble  at all.  Same goes for NGC 7000.  and this one even with the naked eye.  Very frustrating!

Mu Cepheii (Herschel's 'Garnet star') is on my  current list of 'must sees'.R Leporis ('Hind's Crimson star') would seem to be worth a look to see which is the redder of the two.Probably Mu,as it's higher in the sky and less affected by the atmospheric chromatic effects that you get with, say for instance,Sirius.  I've looked for M33 several times,but I think that LP rules it out from my urban location. :huh:

I would like to have viewed Mu Cep via the telescope but owing to  neck problems and the  severe contortions necessary to target  not far from the Zenith I did not win this round.  Perhaps I would feel better if I heard that it  views better through binos anyway!!

Just waithing for R Lep to move into my comfortable   target sector   at middle evening time.  Orion looked high and  glorious at   2.am  last week but  this was through the window of a warm bedroom.

I'd never come across  19 Psc before  .  It is not on my star chart but  later found it identified as  TX Psc. 

Have to wait until May - July next year  to spot the  "greenish  star " ----  Beta  Librae.  Easier to say  (or  spell)  than  " Zubeneschamali". 

I've been doing a bit of quick research on Beta Librae.The great amateur Astronomer William Tyler Olcott(1873-1936),desribed it as "The only naked eye star that is green in colour" Now,as founder of 'The American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO)',you would think that he'd know a thing or two about star colour.Yet, B Lib. is about twice as hot as our sun,with a temp of about 12,300k, it is classed as a type B8v star.Therefore it should appear blue-white. This is probably a case of individual colour perception for the observer. I look forward to deciding what I make of things,when it's visible again.

Yes,   I find star colours inconsistant  and I am sure that this is mainly owing to  the physical conditions prevailing at the time  of observation .    taking Mu Cep as one example ,  it was  superb when viewed the other night .  Other times it has been disappointing.  The same goes for the yellow and blue Albireo  double..  

It probably all boils down to the eye of the beholder ....... I found Patrick Moore's interesting but rather dismissive  comments on  Beta Librae ....he said that it always looked white to him. 

It is a great hobby !

Archived