SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deneb, NGC7000 region

Taken with modded Canon 1000d and my new 50mm f1.8 Mk2 prime lens at 800 asa, stopped down to f3.2 to control the blobby stuff and a bit cropped because I didn't do any flats. IDAS 48mm filter taped and wedged into the lens hood in front of the lens in true bodging style :grin: . Mounted on HEQ5 unguided. This is 30 off 2 minute 800 asa subs sorted in Images plus (no calibration) and PS7

This is my second go at this, 1st was a laugh but finally cracked the fiddly manual focusing on the lens. The dew strap died on me part way through so had to keep the wet stuff at bay with a paint stripper gun on low biggrin.png

Quite pleased with the result especially for a £79.99 lens. Shame it doesn't behave better at full aperture of 1.8 but then I spose one would have to pay a lot more. Not bad for the money and a pretty good terrestrial lens.

cygnusregion2.jpg

Thanks Rich.

The Dew strap was a homebrew job I made for my finder guider which wraps nicely round the fifty.

I traced the fault eventually, it wasn't the strap it was the homemade controller.

When I first set upIand start the strap up I have a switcheable voltmeter so I can check what volts the output to the heater is at. This was at 0 even though the pot was 75% round which was odd so I thought the strap was caput . Today I tested it out and the power potentiometer (for want of a better description) is scratchy so at one point the power drops off.  All I had to do was turn it a bit more but 20 20 hindsight in the cold light of day is a wonderful thing :grin:  :grin:

Archived