Narrowband

M42 first image I am proud of

tahoetomahawk

Hi All,

I am still pretty new, this is the first image I am personally happy with.

Last night the rain let up and it was completely clear so I took the opportunity to bring out the Vixen Polarie.

I just bought a new Sigma 17-70mm f2.8 lens to shoot the milky way and other wide field targets. On the Polarie, I don't have a polar scope yet so the first few shots had star trails, however I decided to bring out my laptop and use Backyard EOS to help with the alignment. It was successful, and I'm not sure if I will need to spend the extra $129 on the polar scope.

I took 38 lights 45 seconds at ISO 800. 20 darks and about 30 bias - I'm still learning about astrophotography and flat frames are beyond my ability at this time.

I used Deep Sky Stacker, there wasn't really I had to do in Photoshop.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124631763@N07/15677642657/in/photostream/

Great image! My favorite constellation, too! I want to get into deep sky astrophotography. I've done some live videocapture of DSOs, the moon and the planets. I may hit you up for some astrophoto advice in the near future  :smiley:

Astronomical evenings,

Reggie

Archived