Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion 120mm f5 ota

Hi was just wondering if anyone has used an Orion 120mm f5 Ota (not the orion astromaster 120mm {might be same scope?}) It sell for around $350,has a focal length of 600mm.Sounds like a bargin at that price,but how good is it! How well are the views thru it and how far can you actually push the magnification of it?was wondering what peoples opinion of it is? Thanks.

It is presumably close to my Skywatcher 120mm f5. This I bought only for white light solar at which it is excellent.

In all truth at night it is very good for lower power views but not brilliant at higher magnifications. On the moon views are nice to maybe 100x or so but there's a lot of chromatic aberration and a little (I think) field curvature - the moon goes slightly egg shaped at the edges of field.

For me it is a nice wide field and white light solar scope but not one I would recommend as a main scope.

I also agree. Refractors are hard to make in fast F ratios, they are harder still to make in fast F ratios when they are large, when it is hard to make things it gets expensive, and this is a large, fast refractor which is very cheap. That doesn't add up, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Olly

Bought mine for 60 quid on AB+S without finder or diagonal.. Had to clean up the OG and the tube was a bit tatty but it's a brilliant contrasty RFT (but surprisingly heavy for the size.) Jupiter looks a bit soft at *120 with a 4.8mm Nagler but the belts and GRS can still be seen ok on a good night.. I can just about see Cassin's Division on Saturn and it will split the double-double but CA is ever-present on bright objects at powers over *100. At his price it was a useful bargain which I've enjoyed using within its limitations but I wouldn't want to get one new. A bit more focal length would solve a few issues.

RL

Archived