Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt/az eq6 power socket

Astro_Baby

Not been on here for a long time as I have had some significant health issues, havent observed or been around astro much in two years in part due to health but also the weather has been atrocious, at least it seems that way....rocketry has been my thing as I can work from home and am not so reliant on weather and a launch takes a few minutes meaning my poor health isnst put under so much strain as standing in the cold for hours at a stretch.

Anyway heres a thing, I am building a power box as I am hoping to finally get out this winter and do some observing, would you believe I have a Pentax XW30 which has yet to ever be used after over two years...sorry I digress...anyway I need to get this power box sorted out and as space is at a minimum I was planning on using the same connectors as used on the new Skywatcher Alt/Az EQ6 as its small, screw locking etc but I cant find these things anywhere. The larger type as used on the EQ8 can be gotten from almost anywhere but the smaller version used on the altaz EQ6 seem impossible to find......even my far eastern contacts have turned up doodly though I am near on certain its a connector used for old style CB radios imported from Japan in the 80s.

Somone on here with one of these mounts must have found a source by now so any help appreciated. If I cant find them I can always go with the EQ8 type connector but I would prefer smaller holes in the panel work if possible.

The power box is dual use for astro and rocketry applications and a nice screw fit would be better than the wimpy 2.1mm plugs so beloved of astro manufacturers.

Ps.....thanks for all the PMs, sorry I havent answered many of them but to be honest each day has been a struggle to get through.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope - sorry FLO and Astronomiser cant help and the connectors that Tinker refers to fit the EQ8 (at least as far as I know) but the ones I am after are much smaller - I am assuming all EQ6 Alt/Azs have the same connector.  It looks just like the ones that Tinker refers to but much smaller.

This is a PSU for multi purpose applications and for all sorts of reasons I dont want to use standard 2.1mm connectors but do need to minimise space.

Hi Jamie,

I had a look at one - the connector is odd.  I have seen one like it years ago on a CB radio rig but I cant find a supplier.  Its become a bit of a crusade for me now as I am pretty well determined to find out where the damn thing comes from just out of single minded OCDness :)

Actually it would be very useful to me - I am working on a power supply system and having a small connector would be a big benefit in getting the form factor as small as possible.  I cant used standard 2.1 DC plugs as the current may be too high for them plus I want a plug thats polarised and secured down.

If I could find one thats the same as the Alt/Az EQ6 it would be good.  The ones on the EQ8 are easy to source but the sub mini one on the ALtAz is a pain.

• 5 months later...

Interesting, I've been waiting for someone to come up trumps on these. If anyone wants to order a couple and let us know if it's the right one, I'm sold.

Or, if there's an order amount to make the delivery price viable I'm sure there will be a few willing to club together for 20 or so?

• 2 months later...

OK. I finally found these little gaffers. I ordered 4 of them and they are exact replacements. You even get both the male and female parts. Best of all, they are cheap and they fit :-) and even have free shipping.

They came from Hong Kong and took about 2 weeks to get here.

So I have a couple of spares if anyone wants. Probably best to limit this to Canada as you can probably get them faster/cheaper if you order them from amazon. I mean, $3.04 Canadian with free shipping! How can that be bad.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H8RE856

Ken from the Great White North

(Alberta Canada)

Archived