Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big prom revisited

Iainp

Rain, rain and more rain. What a way to run a country....

I'm feeding my solar addiction by searching through old files. Here are some frames from the big prom on 9th November.  The first long frame was captured at 12.51 UK time, then there's a run of 11 frames taken over 4 minutes from 13.06 to 13.10 , then 2 frames captured as the Sun was low in the sky much later at 15.01 and 15.02.

It's not much but it's all I've got left.

The BBC is promising Sun tomorrow morning so fingers crossed,  but I've been lied to before! 

post-9374-0-32107200-1416748620.gif

Great animation Iain.  The BBC lying to you, surely not?  You probably saw something on after the news called the weather guess, it isn't meant to be taken seriously, it's just a filler for 3 minutes between the news and before the [proper] comedy programme starts, sort of like a warm up act.

Apologies to the fine folk at the BBC, I am sure your weather forecast is 10 times better than mine.

Robin

Now watching over my shoulder for a bloke with a pointing stick and rain symbol racing up the drive.

Thanks all. So true Robin. Warm up act; spot on!  The BBC forecast is wrong as often as it's right it seems to me.  And I don't just mean a bit wrong, I mean totally wrong ie they predict sun (or rain) for 4 days in advance then on the day it's rainy (or sunny) and they then change the "prediction" on the day, or very often part way through the day,  to what is actually happening outside.   I know it's an inexact science but it seems to be a completely random science as far as I can tell.  On many occasions I've made the decision to never look at it again, because it's more frustrating when it's wrong than just to take a chance on the day.  The 9th November is a case in point. As far as I remember the BBC forecast cloud for the whole day but the sun shone from dawn to dusk.

Hi Iain,

My forecast of choice is xcweather.co.uk, it is derived from the flying forecasts so should be pretty good. I use Sat24 to see what is coming in the next few hours and clearoutside.com, FLO's excellent clear sky clock. I used to use 7Timer clear sky clock, but it seems to have gone off line again.

XCweather says clear tonight until 06:00, clear outside says clear until midnight, Sat24 shows clear for the next couple of hours and guess what, it is clear. Just waiting for until 10pm until dwarf planet Eris is in the right place.

Robin

Archived