Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Am I missing someething?

Being new to astronomy I sometimes feel that when reading forums or even some of the many books I have bought over the last month I am either not getting it or I have missed something.

As an example, I watched a youtube video on how to setting up the EQ mount, also read the excellent Patrick Moore's Astronomy with a budget telescope and followed the instructions, point north, find Polaris, set dec to 90o, lock it, use the RA tracking screw to follow the stars you are observing.  Great, only had 2 nights viewing because of cloud cover but it works nicely.  However, to my right (east) is Auriga with Capella shining brighly, my question is this, if i rotate the scope 45o  can I still track accurately using the RA Screw/Motor? and If I move the dec, will it still track ok?

I know its me probably being really stupid, my thoughts are it should be OK, the main reason I ask is this, I cannot stand to long peering down an eyepiece due to back problems so most of my astronomy will be done with astrophotography (when I get the correct connectors etc) so once set and the motor running I can sit back and wait for the images. (He says with fingers crossed).

Thanks in advance.

Den

It can be a complicated or simple as you want it to be. Using Polaris and RA+Dec is fine, if you know what they mean and how to use them. Unfortunately they are not intuitive.

At the other end is you can put a dobsonian on the ground, look up and see something then decide to point the dob at whatever it is and look at that, no need to know where it is or what it is. Totally visual, but you do generally need dark skies.

You Tube is something I have never looked at. Half convinced that it is a case of I have bought a scope now to show the world how great I am.

There are times when I have read of people buying lots of costly items, selling some, buying others. What was missing was the simple mention of I was looking at XYZ. Strange but never a mention of use of the equipment.

If you are intending to go for AP then really you have to look at the EQ mount and if back troubles then select carefully, light scopes that are easy to handle.

You can rotate the scope, - JUST the scope? - consider that the scope and the mount are to an extent 2 different items. You polar align the mount then the scope is rotate around this "polar" axis, the RA adjuster will cause the scope bit to rotate around this polar axis thus tracking the object. Where you aim the scope is somewhat seperate. Move the scope to whatever and then rotate the mount by the adjusters.

Usually easier to undo the clutches, swing the scope by hand to the new object then tighten the clutches so that the adjusters can be used. I think there may be a limit on how much movement the adjusters can do - seems a bit odd but sure I have read of them coming up against an end stop.

Seems odd to mention the adjusters, mainly as motors sound like they will be essential to you, goto even better - Straighten up, tell scope where to go, let it go there, start looking down the eyepiece again. With adjusters you are bending over while looking and while moving. In effect all the time. For AP then motors at least are essential.

You polar align with the two pairs of bolts at the base of the mount and the polar scope. You can rotate the RA axis to set the correct point for Polaris (in the polar scope) to aid more accurate polar alignment. Once polar aligned leave the bolts alone but you can now move the RA and DEC anywhere you choose.

As Ronin says (if it's not a goto mount) release the clutches to get close and then tighten them again before using the controls for fine adjustment.

You can also rotate the eyepiece holder or the scope in its rings. Is this what you mean by turning 45°?

Archived