Narrowband

Ran out of night!

Bart

First night out in ages. Beautifully clear and crisp. And I do mean crisp - my fingers are just getting blood back into them.

All the globs looked fabulous, M13, M2 very nice.

I saw some detail in M51.

Hunted and got the Medusa nebula. Very very difficult, but with the Oiii filter it was definitely there. I'm pleased with that as it's very faint. I should say that I was using the 16", or I'd say it would be almost impossible.

As I had the Oiii in I tried the Crab Nebula and saw more detail than usual. Also got more detail in the Owl nebula.

It was good to get into the Leo galaxies, that area of sky is so rich with them

Finished off the night with re collimating and then observing Jupiter. Saw an Io moon shadow transit and really pumped up the magnification. At 300 with a 6mm BCO saw glimpses of great detail on the planet. Was very naughty and snuck in a 4.8mm Nagler. It might be a Type 1 but it always gives wonderfully crisp views. Had to wait for exceptional seeing and was chasing the planet all over the place at that magnification, but did manage a couple of big clear images. Lovely

I wasn't expecting to see dawn for a while but it ruined any chance of peeking into Virgo!

Hadn't had a proper night in a long time but this was a wonderful night. Must sleep now. Hope you folks got out too.

Ps also got a couple of very bright meteors, one leaving a trail and what I initially thought was a flare, but then thought was the ISS

Barry

To be fair, I was beginning to wonder when I was ever going to get out again, as I haven't managed many sessions this autumn/winter so far. It seems any decent night coincided with moonlit nights. I know how you lads feel.

Barry

Archived