Narrowband

weird guiding issues after working so well

hi all

I use PHD with a 50mm scope and a QHY5l guide camera. It has always worked well alongside my lens and CCD combo. It's usually quite successful

It setup for pulse guiding through EQmod

Tonight I had a weird issue with the DEC running away. It just takes off and does not return.

I re checked the weight, although there is o appreciable weight from the lens etc.

I polar aligned again, same drift problem on DEC

I checked in case of wire snags 

Tried sever calibrations in PHD and checked settings.

Images seemed to be not that affected I guess because RA is more important re star trailing etc

I finally decided to dig out my ST4 lead and the issue resolved

Would I be right in thinking it's in EQmod? although the settings have not been changed.

Any help appreciated.

Here are before and after images. One with pulse guiding and one with ST4

pulse

post-11156-0-16167500-1416702354_thumb.j

St4

post-11156-0-84695900-1416702354_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

If it's ok with ST4, maybe a usb-serial cable problem (assuming nothing else changed). Calibration only measures the relationship between the guidescope/cam and the mount though it would be strange if it didn't throw some sort of error with a faulty cable, I think.

Do post if you discover what the problem was.

Louise

hi all, many thanks for the replies. I have not had a decent clear night to try again with pulse guiding, so have been playing with my camera lenses instead :grin:

I feel that it must be something to do with EQmod settings, so I will do a compare with the factory settings and perhaps a re install. It's strange as this program is bullet proof so there may be something else going on. 

There is quite a bit of software running on my typical imaging session. 

PHD

EQmod

Stellarium scope

Stellarium

so I shall try again and post back if I get any more news 

thanks again

well after anther freezing and frustrating night, the guiding RA was heading off with ST4 

I now have an admission to make :embarassed:

on eqmod there is a very nice polar alignment tool, it's really easy well most of the time

it allows you to put Polaris in the polar scope circle, you then tell EQmod thats 12 o'clock and EQmod then moves the mount to offset,

adjust mount bolts to re position Polaris in the circle and you're done. Park and slew to target

well. the alignment tool was set to 3 o'clock not to 12!

managed to a very quick go with rubbish seeing but guiding appeared to work, even with very quick PA

the setting was always 12 o'clock so I must have accidentally changed it to 3 but still set the mount as if it was 12

post-11156-0-80302500-1417562791.jpg

Archived