SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

reflector focuser change

nightfisher

I might as well get the advice flowing in advance lol,

I will be fitting a better, used 1.25 focuser to my 114 long focal length newt, i know i will have to re drill the flange holes as the original has 3 hole fixing, the replacement has 4 hole, is there any thing else i need to consider, i hope the draw tube hole will line up, not really geared up to making it larger, so any tips and advice will be most welcome.

Some might think its not worth doing this mod to a lowly 114 newt, but it does give very nice Luna views, i feel it might well replace my vmc110 for Luna/Solar

Hi Jules

just saw your pm but will answer here. Hopefully the hole on the ota for the old focuser will be just big enough for a 1.25" drawtube. If this is the case then happy days you just need four new bolt holes.

If it is larger then you may need to blank off the sides. It is unlikely to be too small.

Check the height of the old focuser when in focus. Get the new one to about the same height and ensure the drawtube does not project into the light path.

Other than this it's an easy mod. You may have to pack out the flange a kittle if the radius is very different but again unlikely.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Shane, i still tend to view reflectors as the work of the devil, having always had fracs.......but like you have changed your view on fracs, i have changed my view on newts  :grin:

Sounds like it should be an easy mod

Archived