SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Centre Of The Milky Way....

Mav359

Hi guys

Maybe i am being stupid but how can you tell if you looking at the centre of the filky way?

I am at galloway at the minute and the other night i was imaging the Iris Nebula using my QHY8L, whilst that was doing its thing i had the DSLR firing away on top of the OTA because according to Stellarium & the reticules there would be some Milky Way in the shot.

Sure enough there was some Milky Way Cloud across the top left corner of the image but going forward if i want to delibratly shoot the centre of the Milky Way how do i know where to point the scope?

Stellarium shows the galactic plane but how do i ID the middle?

Cheers

It's towards Sagittarius. You can see the central bulge in the middle of this 360 degree panorama, the Milky Way is noticeably thicker here.

1024px-ESO_-_The_Milky_Way_panorama_%28b

We have limited opportunities to view the galactic centre from the northern hemisphere, I'm not quite sure how much of the centre we can see from the UK.

I took this shot with a kit lens at 17mm at the end of August.

15162317261_02575e2c8b_b.jpg

Matching it up with the panorama above I captured the left hand edge of the bulge, the centre would have been at or a little way below the horizon.

cheers just fast forwarded stellarium, looks like next august is our next chance and its very low on the horizon

typical

Actually you don't need to wait quite that long. Sagittarius starts rising before sun rise in late April and May.

If I stand on the stump where I'm planning to put my pier I can see almost to zero deg elevation, though as I'm also looking at the main road it's a bit pointless. Mind you I did see Fomalhaut a few nights ago, for the first time ever I think. If I do get some Astrodons I may give the Lagoon or Triffid a go,

Actually you don't need to wait quite that long. Sagittarius starts rising before sun rise in late April and May.

Surprising but true. 

Check out Stellarium- Sagittarius is well up in the South East by 3:00am even as early as March. As well as being an evening summer constellation you should think of targeting the area on Spring mornings too. I try to fit this in when the moon is waxing in the evening sky. The spring morning session is also the best time of year to check the often overlooked constellation of Ophiuchus. Loaded with globular clusters!

Archived