SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My three Scope Imaging Rig.

astro mick

Not really a DIY project,but just an assembly of scopes and camera,s.

I have been operating a 2 scope rig,for some time now,with reasonable success,but have now decided to up the stakes and go for 3 scopes.

The scopes I have are 2 Celestron ED80 F7.5s & a William Optics ZS66 F6.

My cameras are fairly old Starlight models,being 2 HX916s and 1 MX916.

If my calcs are correct the HX916 camera,s coupled to the ED80 scopes,and incorporating a x0.6 Reducer,then binned at 2x2 should give me an image size of 696x520 pixels,and a FOV of 1.29x0.96 Degrees.

The WO scope is left at its normal Focal length of F6.This will give me an image size of 752x580 pixels,and a FOV of 1.24x0.96.(MX916)

So all in all,i,m not two far apart.

One of the scopes is fixed as normal in its own clamping rings,and the other two scopes are held in rigid 3 point adjustment rings.

The guide scope sits above the fixed scope.

To alighn,I centre a star in the fixed scope,using Als Reticule,then I then adjust the other two scopes within their rings to match the main scope.

Each scope has its own computer,so I can keep check of the alignment,and orientation.

Each scope is equipped with its own Filter Wheel,so I can do RGB,HA.O111,S11 at the same time.(I hope) 

The total weight of this set up is about 10kg,so I think I am just within the specs of my NEQ6.

I had no issues guiding with the 2 scope set-up,so hope I will be ok.

Here are some pictues of the set-up.

Cheers.

Mick.

post-4425-0-44981000-1416574147_thumb.jp

post-4425-0-30020700-1416574181_thumb.jp

post-4425-0-81232000-1416574266_thumb.jp

post-4425-0-53157500-1416575362_thumb.jp

Thankyou Gina.

Hi Hew.

I leave the cameras permantly attached to the scopes,so it helps to insulate against dampness and dust,that may be present at times.

It may be a bit of overkill,i don't know,but I don't use dessicant bags,and the scopes are left uncovered.

Mick.

Hi Dave.

Its actually fairly easy.

I don't know whether you know,but when you have a side by side bar,you have to balance in 3 axis.

First you load the whole set-up,including cables,finderscopes etc.

Then you rotate the mount so that the counterweight bar is horizontal.

The next step is to release the Dec lock lever,but keep hold of the scopes.Bring the scopes to a verticle position,and tenderly let go,one side will be heavier than the other,so you take note of the heavy side,then again holding everything,you release the mount saddle locking clamps,and re-postion the side by side bar until,the scopes are balanced and remain verticle.

You then rotate in declination until the scopes are horizontal,again there will be an imbalance.To correct this you just reposition the scopes within there own saddle clamps,by moving then forward or back,until the scopes remain in a horizontal position,when the locks are free.

Finally you adjust the weights on the counterweight arm to balance in R/A.

Job done.

Hope this makes sense.

Mick.

Archived