Narrowband

Hello everyone!

Blade57HRC

Hello to everybody!

I'm Iraklis (Hercules in english),34yo from Athens.
I've wanted a telescope since i was a kid but for various reasons never got to own one...
I had sort of forgotten about this ''wish'', but recently i started looking on ebay/amazon for telescopes and found some really cheap ones.
BUT, after really asking myself what i want, the prices got higher :)

Reading the review of a certain seben telescope (bashed it) i found a suggestion about this site.
Forums have saved my @$$ before so i immediately signed-up for advice from people in the know...and....here i am! :)

(Should i ask for suggestions about a starter telescope here or start another thread?)

Hi Iraklis and welcome to the forum. Better to post a question over on the beginners section for advice. Personally I would stay away from Seben and would stick with the main manufacturers (SkyWatcher, Celestron and Meade) as they represent best value for money and also have good quality control when manufacturing their products. It might be a good idea to let people know what you prefer to observe (Planets/moon or nebula/constellations or even astrophotograpy etc - no one scope does it all!) and lastly and probably most importantly, what is your budget.

Clear skies for now and hope the forum can point you in the right direction!

Yes, you could take a look at the Video Astronomy section here for guidance, questions and examples which people post in. Or even post a question over on the beginners imaging section for further guidance. Video imaging isn't that expensive say compared with deep sky imaging (Galaxies and nebula) with a dedicated camera or DSLR which relies on longer exposures and therefore more tracking accuracy. With video, you can take a relative short series of exposures, subtract the poor 'frames' and stack the good ones to make a final composite image which can yield impressive results especially imaging planets and the moon in particular. With any kind of imaging, I see you live in Athens but it might be worth you trying to get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which will advise you on all aspects of imaging and is a comprehensive guide on how to take good consistent images. Modestly priced, it will in fact save you money as it will ensure you don't buy the wrong kit for your chosen project, we don't want the first image of a black hole being the one in your wallet! :grin: Hope you can get a copy and good luck!

Clear skies

Thanks everybody!

I'll have to make a thread of what i want in order for suggestions to come, because, this started a few weeks ago with a self-suggested price tag of 100e (me going ''yipee'' lol) and now i'm probably in the 300-500e range (me going ''fr@k me!!!'' lol) of requirements...

Hi and welcome to SGL - As an imager, my advice would be to look on the imaging forums at the images that people post. Be realistic about what you want to achieve and then look at the kit that they use.

For imaging, THE most important part of the rig if the mount. If you are thinking of deep sky imaging (I'm not meaning video imaging here) then if you can get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' that really is a great book.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello Iraklis, welcome to the forum

Hope you share some pictures or your first light comments from Athen !

Skies must be great there :)

Hi Iraklis

Welcome to SGL and astronomy.

As mentioned in a previous comment, I would also suggest getting the "Making every photon count" book, especially before buying any equipment or you might end up doing what we did: buy the wrong type of scope for what we wanted to do and effectively replace the whole setup a year in

Enjoy your SGL Experience Iraklis.

Your 100e will buy you a good pair of binoculars. Those will allow you to do some visual astronomy.

They will serve to stimulate your interest a bit more, and be of terrestrial use too.

Buying a first telescope is a daunting task, and you have mentioned photography and video too.

Already the price is rising in your mind, and perhaps the desire wanes as the potential cost goes up.

My suggestion is start modest, and increase the capability of your equipment over time.

Look around the Used Astronomy Equipment sites, some useful, and inexpensive items can be acquired from those.

Be careful about EBay though, some suspect so called bargains are never what they seem. Seek advice here before you even contemplate buying anything

there.

I have no Idea what is available in Greece Astro wise, new or used stuff.

Start with a modest Telescope that you can setup easily,  and learn the skies with.

A Dobsonian  6" or 8" reflector would be an Ideal first step, and when you are ready to step up, you would have no trouble selling it on to

someone else, probably for  near enough the same price you bought it for.

Best Wishes for a successful venture into Astronomy,

and don't forget that the whole population of SGL are here to help you any way they can.

Ron.   

Thanks a lot everyone!

I looked around the house and found my old 8x56 binoculars some hours ago... :)

Have to find an old tri-pod i have somewhere stashed of an old Olympus just in case i go for plan B.the Virtuoso-90...it looks more appealing everyday passing as a starterscope...
(after doing more research on the 127 goto, i think i'll be better off upgrading later to sth like the 6SE if the bug really stays, which i cant afford right now...or the near future...dunno)

Archived