SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best solar filter for imaging?

Hi,

I have been looking into getting a solar filter for my Orion ED80T CF to do some imaging of the sun and solar eclipses.

I have been looking at these two filters:

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-07733-4-10-Inch-Aperture-Telescope/dp/B0000XMW9O/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416501216&sr=1-4&keywords=solar+filter

http://www.optcorp.com/astrozap-solar-filter-for-orion-80-100-ed-104mm-114mm-telescopes.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAv7ajBRCIldS7rp7wzFkSJAAA1n4DqHTPL6C2LrCReHR_t3EC6hdpNQU9SoE6vUwB8ZLjHRoC6ybw_wcB

I noticed that some of the reviews say that the Orion glass filter is not as clear and sharp as the Astrozap filter.

Is this true? Does anybody have any experience with a good solar filter that is clear and sharp? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I would also appreciate it if you post an image of the sun that you have taken and what filter you used to take it with.

Thank you,

Christopher

personally, I'd go for a 1.25" lunt wedge. this is far safer than any aperture filter (as it cannot be knocked off while observing and even if it did fall out you end up with a warm leg, not a burned eye) and provides superb visual images (i don't image myself but imagine it will be a superb tool for this).

A wedge would be the best but they are a much more expensive option.

The baader astrozap film is certainly the next best thing and you could cut the cost down further by making the filter yourself instead of buying a premade one as they do sell the individual sheets of film also.

I took this today using the Baader film.

post-8383-0-41545800-1416504801_thumb.jp

Of the two examples you offered up he Baader film is by far the better option , there is no glass-based filter or polymer film filter to touch it ( barring the extremely expensive Zeiss glass filters that is )

A wedge will give some improvement but needs the addition of UV/IR Blocking and Continuum filters to really up the quality , all adding substantially to the cost , bang for buck the Baader film wins hands down.

For a 'few' images shot with Baader film see here ...  :smiley: ... https://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

Christoper I have used an Orion glass filter, a Thousand Oaks glass filter, Baader film and finally a Lunt Herschel Wedge. The best is the Lunt Herschel Wedge which I use with a Baader Continuum Filter.

For imaging I believe the Baader film provided the best image quality (other than the Herschel Wedge) so I agree with Steve in post 6 above. However, I always felt more secure with the glass filters which I checked every time I used them. If you really keen on this subject and you are happy to pay the extra I would buy the Herschel Wedge. By the way you don't need a UV/IR blocking filter if you use a DSLR although other astro cameras you will.

Photo attached using a Herschel Wedge and Canon 50D DSLR - a single photo not stacked

post-1628-0-25197800-1416508859_thumb.jp

Taking a bit of adhesive-backed flocking, or something similar, to place on the top-edge of your scope's tube will secure a solar-filter. It will even make it a bit of a bear to get one on and off. When it comes to safety-precautions regarding solar observing, there is no such thing as being to safe.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Home-made baader film version is the best bang-for buck option (although on my APM 80mm I use a wedge). Mind that you remove the transparent foil that sticks rather tenaciously to the film by static electricity, before attaching the film to its holder. Otherwise the image quality is right down the drain

Thanks for the advice.

I was also wondering, is it possible to capture any solar prominences with the Baader film? I didn't see anything in your examples, but is it possible to bring them out with processing and stacking?

Similar to what this guy does:

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/photography/pst-solar-imaging/

I know he is using a Coronado PST, but I was wondering if I could achieve somewhat close results.

Thanks,

Christopher

when using a white light filter you are looking straight through the part of the sun shown in those Ha images. You need at cheapest a PST and upwards before you can see such features. White light solar is fascinating and superb though, make no mistake. I love observing both ways. in fact I do more solar observing then anything else currently.

Christopher when you use Baader film (white light) you are viewing the Photosphere. To view the Chromosphere - the layer between the Photosphere and the Corona you need a Hydrogen Alpha scope - such as the Coronado PST.

In Ha light you can see filaments, prominences etc which will not be visible in white light.

Archived