Narrowband

Hi from cloudy Hampshire

SimonThomas

Hi all. I recently purchased a Sky-Watcher 130P AZ go-to parabolic Newtonian reflector as a present for my son who is really into space and star gazing. Didn't really know much about the subject so went with the standard hours of research and web browsing before buying.

He's only 6 by the way bug shows a huge talent for this sort of thing. I figured go slightly better now and we can develop the hobby together.

Set it up this morning to make sure it all worked.

I've got a couple of questions though if anyone can help?

It appears well worth investing in a power pack but where can I get one at a reasonable price and does it have to be the Sky-Watchers own or can any 12v 7ah DC power pack do?

Also, can anyone recommend a simple but worth while computer program? Is it worth it yet?

Finally, the hand control unit is well out of date re the firmware. Tried to update this morning but it appears that I don't have the correct connections on my lap top. Any idea how to upgrade the firmware when the lead doesn't connect?

Sorry for all the questions. Lots more to follow I suspect. Mainly from the boy and I'd like to know what I'm talking about ....... Lol.

Hi and welcome to the forum. It might be worth posting some of your questions over on the beginner's section as a lot of people don't always visit the welcome section and so you will deprived of some helpful responses.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi and welcome.

Such a nice thing you can share a hobby with your son.

As mentioned in a previous post, try Stellarium. It's very useful and has a nice user interface.

Another planetarium software worth mentioning is Cartes du Ciel. It's  a bit more technical and less fancy but still very good (I personally prefer it when controlling the mount from it)

Clear skies

Nico & Carly

Archived