Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's Your Orientation?

PhotoGav

So, I am Mr. Chuffed as my image of M31 was selected as Photo Of The Month in the December issue of the Sky At Night magazine. Hurrah!

One keen reader sent in a comment to the magazine questioning the orientation of the image, saying that it is a mirror image of the image as detailed in The Larousse Encyclopaedia of Astronomy (Lick Observatory 23 Sep 1946,
20-inch astrograph).

Here's my image:

post-29321-0-64813600-1416494888_thumb.p

And the Larousse image:

post-29321-0-98935100-1416494885_thumb.j

Which is the right way round, if indeed either is in the 'correct' orientation?

One other question: I am lucky enough to have won an Orion StarShoot Solar System Colour Imager IV - is it any good? Obviously for lunar and planetary stuff and I look forward to putting it on the end of my C8, but just wondered what the opinion on it is - I'm not expecting that much given it's price tag!

That  is a splendid M31,  and I would not worry about it's orientation.

Congratulations on The Sky at Night publishing it too, a nice honour, and coupled with your prize,

a very nice boost for you.

The camera prize you can accept with pride, and don't fret about it's worth. Give it a tryout, and see for yourself how it performs,

you might be surprised.

If it doesn't come up to your expectation, you can put it in the Classifieds For Sate, once you figure a reasonable price for it.

Please don't accept any offers in this thread though, it's against the Rules, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Anyway, the main thing is, Well Done on your great success, and I hope you can repeat it this coming imaging season.

:icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: .

Ron.

Congratulations Gav. Well deserved. It's a great feeling to get the Picture Of The Month. I managed it last year with an image of NGC891.

Unfortunately I never received my prize!!

Hope you get yours though.

Pete

Congratulations Gav. Well deserved. It's a great feeling to get the Picture Of The Month. I managed it last year with an image of NGC891.

Unfortunately I never received my prize!!

Hope you get yours though.

Pete

Thanks Pete and belated congrats for your success! Sorry to hear you didn't receive your prize - what was it meant to be? Fingers crossed that I have more luck in that department!

Drat, I was hoping this was an astro-coming out thread! I can't be the only one with a pink telescope on SGL :)

Smashing image, well deserved winner. I wouldn't be upset about the comment, though there probably is a 'correct' way to show deep sky objects as set out by that International Astronomical Union.

Well done!

James

Drat, I was hoping this was an astro-coming out thread! I can't be the only one with a pink telescope on SGL :)

Smashing image, well deserved winner. I wouldn't be upset about the comment, though there probably is a 'correct' way to show deep sky objects as set out by that International Astronomical Union.

Well done!

James

Thanks James, though I'm sorry to mislead and disappoint with the title thread - your reply made me chuckle!

I'm not upset by the comment at all, I am just intrigued to know the answer.

Thanks Pete and belated congrats for your success! Sorry to hear you didn't receive your prize - what was it meant to be? Fingers crossed that I have more luck in that department!

You know I can't even remember now Gav...possibly a Celestron planetary camera although I would have likely sold it on anyway.

Pete

Woah, what a great image, congratulations Gav. :)

S@N must have been happy with the orientation, otherwise they could easily have flipped it before printing.

Regards the prize, check your sig and camera bag, this camera has a price tag of ££thousands, in order to obtain it by this method. ;)

Thank you Ruud, Barry & Rich. Yes, dead chuffed, which ever way up!

Regards the prize, check your sig and camera bag, this camera has a price tag of ££thousands, in order to obtain it by this method. ;)

Ha ha, that made me properly laugh out loud!

That is a great image of M31, who cares about the orientation? We worry about it if we ever get there or as the saying goes, if the mountain does not come to Mohammad then Mohammad will go to the mountain. I guess  we will know in a couple of billion years when the Milky way and M31 start the collision process.

Joking aside the horrible picture has the correct orientation as obseved from the northern earth hemisphere.

Regards,

A.G

Never mind the flip, just compare the images, one taken on accessible equipment, the other by a major observatory instrument. How things have moved on over time! Your image blows the Lick Astrograph's image totally out of the water!

Never mind the flip, just compare the images, one taken on accessible equipment, the other by a major observatory instrument. How things have moved on over time! Your image blows the Lick Astrograph's image totally out of the water!

Sure does :)

I try to remember to check the flip before publishing. Both cameras on our Tandem produce instant views in the same orientation but the SX in Nebulosity finally delivers them rotated 180 and flipped horizontally.

It's a lovely Andromeda, rich in colour, controlled well into the core, pretty deep and very natural looking. Really well worth the accolade.

Olly

Congrats on the well deserved PotM in the mag - as everyone else is saying - what an image compared to yesteryears best :) !!!

I did an image of Andromeda last summer and ran it past my wife  - she told me it was 'ok' but needed to be flipped so that it was the same as the Larousse image you've posted. Perhaps it's just that people have seen it in one orientation and figure it should always be that way?

My tandem setup also throws up one set of images oriented one way and the other set the other way - but I'm lazy, I throw it all into Pixinsight and it turns them around for me :) (Well, I'm sure it's more complex than that but the end result is they all end up the same way). I really don't personally worry about whether north is up, down, left, right etc :)

James

Archived