Narrowband

New mount, PHD2 suggestions

Phillyo

So my new Mount and Scope will be arriving with my parents this weekend (exciting!) and I was wondering if anyone with a similar setup would be able to point me in the right direction for guiding and mount setups?

Its an Avalon Linear Fast Reverse mount on the Geoptik tripod, the scope is the WO Star 71 so around 346mm fl I think? Guiding is with the Lodestar X2 through AOG on the QSI583 in PHD2

Anyone using the same mount with a similar focal length?

Thank you,

Phil.

PS. Sorry for more cloud! (Is that even possible?) :(

Ian King recommended the following PhD settings to me for imaging with my Baby Q using an OAG on the Avalon Linear ...

RA Aggressiveness - 100
RA Hysterisis – 1

Min Motion 0.00

Guide rate 0.25x to 0.5x depending on guide focal length.

I've not used them in anger yet as I'm recovering from an operation, but they shouldn't be too far off the mark.

FWIW, he also said ...

"Also – I found better tracking by balancing the mount with the scope/camera pointing about 60 degrees altitude in the sky rather than balance in the traditional position."

If you find something else works better, do let me know!!!

Thanks Alistair. I'm still playing with the settings as I think I can get it quite a bit lower, but they seemed to work well for that image yes! Imaging at such a short focal length is slightly more forgiving though. If/when I get a longer F/L scope, then we'll see how good I can get the guiding.

Sara has since messaged me as she is looking at getting PHD2 along with SGPro so it'll be interesting to see what settings she uses as I think her baby-Q will be similar in F/L to my Star 71...plus I think she has more clear nights to 'fiddle' with settings than the 2 we've had this month :/

Phil

Archived