SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

We're off to the MOON !

andrew63

I heard that on a Beeb news and thought that's interesting,

then they said something about 10years, oh dear,

they need to get a move on faster than that, cos a lot of the folk who have spare cash

for fanciful investments are probably retired and dreaming wistfully about Apollo !!!! :) :) :)

I've read the basic plans, but how would a visitor to the moon in x years time have the ability to read a cd or usb stick full of digital data?

Wouldn't it be better to vaccum seal a load of photos in a cannister and bury that?

Reminds me of Blue Peter years ago when they did their time capsule things and buried them about the place.

I'd quite happily donate £50 or so for some photos of me and my family with a little story and some DNA!

It would be great to send a DNA sample and then maybe in yrs to come long after i am dead.............i could be cloned. 

Just what the universe needs.............another me.

LOL.

Red Dwarf fans will appreciate this...

"There'll be 2 mes. A living me and a dead me. One for the week and one for Sunday best".

I don't see this happening.

Don't get me wrong, I loved all the excitement that the Rosetta mission generated last week. I'm a self confessed Trekkie, for goodness sake! But at the cost of £500M quoted, even if everyone in the UK (approx 63 million per 2011 census) donated equally, thta would be just under 8 quid each.

HOWEVER, do you see everyone in the UK donating? Yes, companies would make higher donations, but I'm just not seeing the total being reached. I don't think the Kickstarter model will work for something on this scale.

I know private space exploration and developement exists (Virgin Galactic, SpaceX etc), but I'm just not seeing this as a viable project. Especially as it is just esentially a time capsule.

Yeah, I know, bah Humbug!

Mark

I heard about his last week & jumped straight on it as soon as he kickstarter went live!

£60 will get me an as yet unknown amount of megabytes of storage space or a strand of hair.

It's a great idea, something I think is a once in a lifetime change. You'll forever be able to say that there's a little bit of you in space/on the moon forever! :-)

I heard about his last week & jumped straight on it as soon as he kickstarter went live!

£60 will get me an as yet unknown amount of megabytes of storage space or a strand of hair.

It's a great idea, something I think is a once in a lifetime change. You'll forever be able to say that there's a little bit of you in space/on the moon forever! :-)

Nice, but the first £600,00 is for the Trust members to project manage and plan the second phase which may/should be the lunar mission itself. But your donation will go well for the first class flights and 5* hotels they will have to have when visiting Florida and NASA to get information. :eek: :eek: :eek:

By 10 years they will also have to apply for a Moon Visa to China. :grin: :grin: :grin:

ill be doing my hair strand and a photo, very well priced IMO :)

The cost of a short message will be a few pounds, a compressed photo will be a few tens of pounds while a short compressed video will be about £200. The cost of sending a hair sample will be around £50.

I dunno but I find this sad in a way.

Where are we now? Late 2014 nearly 2015 and we're having to kickstarter a moon mission that *may* (But only may) drop a robotic probe on the surface sometime in 2025?

*sigh*

What happened to the spirit of the late '60s early 70s when we thought anything was possible? When we were looking forward to Lunar bases / colonies by now? When we were planning Mars missions?

I despair sometimes, I really do, but having said this I hope it does take off. I may even stump up some cash.

I dunno but I find this sad in a way.

Where are we now? Late 2014 nearly 2015 and we're having to kickstarter a moon mission that *may* (But only may) drop a robotic probe on the surface sometime in 2025?

*sigh*

What happened to the spirit of the late '60s early 70s when we thought anything was possible? When we were looking forward to Lunar bases / colonies by now? When we were planning Mars missions?

I despair sometimes, I really do, but having said this I hope it does take off. I may even stump up some cash.

The Moon race was purely a politically points-scoring exercise. Once it was won there was very little political incentive to continue, especially with a character like Nixon in power.

Don't underestimate the costs involved in doing this.....Apollo took over 2% of the Federal budget of the biggest economy in the world. I accept that lots of the technology that had to be developed in the 60s are much more mature, but getting out of LEO is not that easy. There's probably only 3 countries in the world capable of putting a lander on the Moon at this point in time- the USA, China and India. Are there even commercial boosters capable of putting a probe into a Lunar orbit? The Falcon Heavy hasn't flown yet.

Personally I think that the chances of doing via a charity approach are fairly small. I'll put this in the same pile as the UK spaceport and Skylon/HOTOL.

I watched that Brian Cox programme last weekend, Space, Time and Videotape, with a piece from James Burke in the 80s discussing the Apollo missions and the massive cost of it. Then he added that during the same time period, American women spent the same amount of money on cosmetics. So it's all a matter of perspective, and personally I don't think there is anything we can do on earth which is more important than manned space exploration. Robots are cheap and interesting, but they are just glorified thermometers and can only do so much as opposed to what a human can do if they were there. Space flight needs to be made cheaper, but that will only happen if we keep on doing it and striving to discover new technologies. In the same programme there was a hilarious comment from Brian Blessed, when he addressed NASA, "Get off your arses!! Sod gamma rays, sod cosmic rays. Find a way!!"

I like comment 510 from Jimbob :eek:

I hope he had his tongue in his cheek at the time.

"how about raising the bar and landing a probe somewhere that nobody has been before, like the Sun or Mars?"

I don't know about the location of his tongue, but I'm fairly sure it isn't brain that's keeping his ears apart.

James

"how about raising the bar and landing a probe somewhere that nobody has been before, like the Sun or Mars?"

I don't know about the location of his tongue, but I'm fairly sure it isn't brain that's keeping his ears apart.

James

:p  That made me laugh.

It did read as genuine to me... and it made me smile :smiley:   A kind of honest, if naïve innocence?

It was only days ago that the Rosetta/Philae mission landed on the moon, took a few photos and then its batteries ran out. Why the sudden rush to go back there again? Don’t get me wrong, it would be a phenomenal achievement for the UK, but plenty of probes have been to the moon; how about raising the bar and landing a probe somewhere that nobody has been before, like the Sun or Mars?

I don't know why, but it reminded me of this...

Alas, your too much love and care of me

are heavy orisons against this poor wretch.             

If little faults proceeding on distemper shall not be winked at, 

how shall we stretch our eye when capital crimes, chewed, 

swallowed and digested, appear before us? 

We'll yet enlarge that man, though Cambridge, Scroop and Grey, 

in their dear care and tender preservation of our person 

would have him punished.

Archived