Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion newly modded dslr

Rudeviewer

I have a quick orion from last night, I forgot to check the integration time.

Varios shots at 800 iso 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutesm and 10 minutes.  I think I overdid it a bit in PI as the nebula looks sorts of strange to me now, but I just did a quick process before I start work for the day.

post-34263-0-07875400-1416326160_thumb.p

Yes, I agree - that first image is superb :)  This is a difficult object to capture and process well - in spite of looking easy, it isn't!.  There is so much contrast that reducing it to fit the range we can see on a monitor needs a lot of careful processing.

Thank you all !

It is not super dark as I image out of my back yard which is surrounded my yellow street lights that at least 4 hit my scope.  Prob about 50 yds away a piece.  I use a skyglow filter to try and remove them but they are so close it seems to always show up. 

I do like the first one as well, you can see through the core.  Its tough because the cloudy outside shows up more in the third one but I also didn't adjust the colors in the first one only boosted saturation.  I will have a few more goes at processing this one I am sure.  Im going to try to get some more subs to add to this image tonight.  See if I can clean it up a bit and add some darks to it as well. 

The Running Man is the shadow area in the blue on the right of the image.

To get the core and yet still see the outer nebulosity you need to take two lots of subframes and conbine the two.  Short exposures for the core and much longer for the outer nebula.  Then you need some careful and quite difficult processing using layer masking to combine the two.

Good Luck - you've made a great start :)

Considering after almost a year, this is where I started at with my 6se I think it is much better.  Switching to the 8" newt has been great for me.  Although if I get into planetary the 6se will do better for that, I just don't use it much anymore. 

post-34263-0-72055300-1416421090_thumb.j

added a few more subs to total 103 subs.  Brought more color out, and a bit more detail in the nebula but my processing seems to lost a bit of whispy dust in the middle.  Tried some different things in PI.  Very hard one to process.

post-34263-0-15924800-1416524422_thumb.p

nice one, how did you align up for another session of subs from the previous session? Astrtortilla?

also whats your workflow with PI? ive had PI for 3 days now and still trying to take in all the changes from PS and try to get some kind of consistent workflow

one thing I miss from PS is the hand tool, do you know if PI has a similar tool instead of having to move the sliders on a zoomed image?

I manually did it.  With orion being so big I aligned a few stars where I had them the previous night.  I used my best judgment, and it was pretty close.  I then took the previous stack and the new stack and used dss to align them.  I don't use any other programs while taking images, astrotortilla, EQmod, nothing like that..

I am having the same issues with moving to PI lol.  I tend to try to use the old tools and forget what the heck I am doing. 

I usually go screen transfer, dbe, dynamic crop, do the background neut black and white, create a star mask, HDRMultiscale, local histogram, then perform noise reduction and green removal using scnr, and acdnr.  Sometimes if I an feeling lazy I will do a masked stretch instead of going through the star mask and stretch.  Ill then take my image through to PS and adjust levels a bit because PI seems to leave the image a bit brighter when I open up PS.  If I decided the stars are too big or ugly I perform noels actions star reduction, sometimes if it is a bit noisy still ill do a less crunchy more fuzzy.  ITs tough because I learn new things to do each time, so the process is very rarely the same. 

One thing I NEED to do is take notes from each processing session that way things can be done the same.

nice one for aligning manually!

PI is a steep learning curve, im having another practice session with PI now,  just stacked my data with PI batch preprocessing (not touched image integration yet), ive also done every step you have just mentioned but am only up to HDRmulticale now, ive not attempted to create a star mask yet tho, im loving learning PI tho and am winning today's battle i feel lol

Archived