Narrowband

Dark sites near London

Grove Park near Bromley is not to far. Also have you tried the big parks at night? I dont know if they would be any good but you would imagine that Regents Park and maybe Wimbledon Common would be darkish, that is if the Wombles don't get you first.

I'm in Swanley so you'll know how lovely and orange my sky is, my brother lives in Frittenden, nice and dark but he's moving soon, went to a site on Romney marsh a while back not very good, lot's of lights, got another site to check out near to that one, trouble is most of them close in October.

Got another site available year round but all the way down in Sussex near Chichester.

A few dark public places you can just set up but I prefer some sort of privacy/security.

Have you thought of booking into SGL10 star party, dates should be announced soon hopefully and you need to get in quick.

Dave

Hi Drshminky,

I'm very near to where you are and to be honest it's pants round this way for serious DSO observing. There is too much light pollution so my advice would be to get as near to the south east coast as far as possible. I tend to go to Winchelsea which is near Rye.  If I know it's going to be a clear night and have no work in the morning  I  visit a friend there so I can stay over. It makes things so much easier and secure too.  Some of my best sessions have been from there. Brooklands nearby is also good. I was travelling back through Brooklands a few weeks ago and could easily make out M33 (Triangulum galaxy) with bins through patchy ground mist.  Andromeda was just about naked eye from there too. 

However if I want a quick session that is half reasonable then I  go out just past Brands Hatch down the A20. This is the where you get the first hint of a darker sky but there is still glare from London and nearby towns reaching  up around 30 degrees into the night sky. If the moon is up then forget it. 

Be careful of parks, or open spaces, especially if it's a cut through for people having consumed alcohol. Not a good idea  to have intoxicated people around expensive equipment.  For a totally quick session I go to Blackheath which is just up the road. I have found one place that is okay there. Still loads of light pollution of course but as I don't have a garden I need to go to a place away from direct street lighting.  PM me for more info if you like. 

I have on occasion been up to Brands Hatch car park (big open space) mainly to get a good West horizon for Planets but the other direction isn't too bad.

Here's a pic of South London from Brands Hatch, you're probably in there somewhere  :grin:

Dave

post-21198-0-14059900-1416405054_thumb.j

Shame isnt it that the light pollution is so bad. Spooke to Mrs Shminky last night and think we'll have to book some weekends away:D

Thanks for all the advice. Agree with the parks; I'm a bit reticent in london to go to a park with any kit in case anyone stumbles over it.  

Just also wondered about the efficacy of a light pollution filter. I've seen a few but never really thought they would help too much. 

And thanks everyone.

Drshminky

I'm in SE23 - on the Catfordy edge of Forest Hill. Luckily I have a garden that's shielded from most direct LP, except for neighbours' "security" lights flashing on and off as their bloomers flap in the breeze on the washing line.  I've been out to the top of Sundridge Hill Lane in the past - just about the darkest bit inside the M25 as far as I can tell - but to be honest I tend to stick to planetary observing and shooting the ISS as it passes over Forest Hill.  Might explore Woldingham - a friend down there has just been given his first scope for his 50th birthday, and he's keen for me to help him get used to how it works.  Most of the really enjoyable observing I've done has been in France or in North Yorkshire or North Norfolk.  Oh, and Australia and NZ a few years back.  Not so convenient for Forest Hill though.

I'm in Bromley, and the LP is awful here.  I can do imaging of bright objects from here, but to get away to darker skies, I and my astro society people go to dark sites in Kent or Sussex once a month for a weekend away (if the weather is ok).  

I have found a nice place south of Bewl water where it's very dark.  Other places we go to are Rother Valley campsite (Northiam), and New Romney in Kent.  We are still looking for the perfect place, but these are the best so far.  These are Public sites so no need to be a member to attend.  

If you don't want to go so far, then places like Otford might be better for you.  Depends whether you are talking about an evening out, or a weekend away.  There's nothing dark inside the M25.  You really need to get past Pembury.  

HTH

Archived