Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for beta testers of new Polar Alignment utility.

themos

allright, dmg is done

macbook-air:~ stephanelucas$ hdiutil create -srcfolder dist/PPA.app PPA.dmg.........................................................................................................................................created: /Users/stephanelucas/PPA.dmgmacbook-air:~ 

final size is 31Mb, testing it and it works without any issues.

How do create a standalone and DMG for Mac OS x:
#sudo port install py-py2app_ you might need to do the following force install if errors are found:___#sudo port -f activate py27-altgraph___#sudo port -f activate py27-modulegraph___#sudo port -f activate py27-macholib
_ in the PPA (where ever your files are) folder:
#py2applet-2.7 --make-setup PhotoPolarAlignment.py
You should put the name of your starting python script (the one your run to start) in the APP variable.
APP = ['PPA.py']DATA_FILES = ['PPA.ico','h.jpg','helvR24.pil','ppa.iss','symb24.pil','PPA.ini','PPALogo.bmp','h2_2.ppm','i.jpg','v.jpg','PPA.py','contributors.txt','helvR24.pbm','i2_2.ppm','symb24.pbm','v2_2.ppm']
#python setup.py py2app
_You can then run the app from
./dist/PPA.app/Contents/MacOS/PPA
To create the DMG:
#hdiutil create -srcfolder dist/PPA.app PPA.dmg

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I was testing a new setup and PPA said I was aligned to less than 1 arc minute.

post-3505-0-15763200-1419967838.jpg

I then ran for over 9 hours on a single subject guiding with PHD2.  Analysis today showed that I had over 5 arc mins periodic error.

Tonight I checked my polar alignment  using my Megrez 90 as normal and the result was it was still aligned.

post-3505-0-51288000-1419967992.jpg

This left me a little perplexed  as my images from last night definitely had significant pixel shift over the 9 hours.  So I used my 2 guide scopes with PPA.

Using my Zenithstar with a Lodestar  the result was  in close agreement with the Megrez:-

post-3505-0-83269500-1419968159.jpg

I then checked it with my SBIG ST-i guider but it gave a different result.  Out of alignment by over 5 arc mins.

post-3505-0-90151700-1419968260.jpg

Now the ST-i guider is bolted to the Megrez tube rings which in turn is attached pretty solidly via an M3 vixen clamp onto a substantial M3 Losmandy  plate.  So I am wondering what has caused the differing results?

Andy

Andy, do the circles around Polaris and Lambda look centred on the stars? The only thing I can think of is a bad solve due to some dodgy pixels or other factors. If you send me the original images I can try different solve parameters to see if there is a sensitivity there. The scale with the SBIG seems quite a bit different.

Happy new year :)

Andy, do the circles around Polaris and Lambda look centred on the stars? The only thing I can think of is a bad solve due to some dodgy pixels or other factors. If you send me the original images I can try different solve parameters to see if there is a sensitivity there. The scale with the SBIG seems quite a bit different.

They appear to be the same on all images a little off centre.

I have sent you a Dropbox link to the files for each camera there is a screenshot of all 3 results side by side in the top directory. I have sent both .FIT and .jpg for the ST-i and the Lodestar.

Note the ST-i camera is orthogonal to the other 2 cameras. When I used the ST-i data to improve polar alignment the results were disastrous ( it sent me in the wrong direction) and I had to actually look through the polar scope to get back into close alignment before finishing off the alignment with the Megrez camera.

It appears to me that your routine makes assumptions about which axis is parallel to the ground.

I am sure Astrometry.net reports on the camera axis. Could you not make use of that?

In the meantime I will realign the SBIG ST-i orientation so its image matches the Canon 5D.

I will also add another canon camera with a camera lens on it to see what results that gives.

It will probably be Sunday before I have any more results weather permitting.

Andy

Thanks Andy, Happy NEw Year to you too!

regarding orientation, the instructions for moving the polar axis only make sense if the image declared Horizontal is actually horizontal! A DSLR lets you see if the sensor is in the landscape orientation (horizontal) but other CCDs don't and you need to mark them somehow so that you know what RA position corresponds to horizontal image. Also, if the parity is wrong (reversed image) bad things will happen (the development version alerts you that the parity is wrong).

Edited by themos

Andy, thinking about it a bit more, I could find out which direction is the local horizontal if I know the location and the time and then adjust the instructions. Something to think about...

Even with a DSLR and no inverting of the image (refractor) I still find it a bit tricky when it says "Left xx.x", "Down xx.x". "Left xx.x" means that you need to move the FOV (or NCP) left, which actually means moving the mount right...it comes down to the azimuth bolts that are inverted i.e. using the left bolt moves things right...and vice versa...I can only imagine it getting trickier with a refractor and a CCD...

What I do (since I am using Windows XP), is pop live-view on and adjust the bolts by observing a star, then there is no mistaking it. Usually you can hit it within a couple of iterations.

I have managed to do a complete polar alignment by being doing it blind, i.e. plonking the mount and scope on the ground roughly pointing north and using PhotoPolarAlign, however I'd recommend using a polar scope at the very least to get it as close as possible to start with.

I took a few pictures to explain how to position the camera, in case some are confused.

I'm using my StarAdventurer for the exercise, and it's usually on the other side of the window ;)

Your camera should be aligned with the RA, like the following pictures:

IMG_2030_640.JPG # IMG_2031_640.JPG

Let's call this one the "horizontal" picture

You then rotate it 90 degrees and call it the "vertical" picture.

IMG_2032_640.JPG # IMG_2033_640.JPG

I like starting with the "vertical" picture, it makes it easier when you need to adjust the left/right/up/down as instructed by PPA.

Hope you'll find the above useful in one way.

• Like 1

Hope you'll find the above useful in one way.

Very clear. The complication as Themos said arises when a CCD is introduced. In my case as the image below shows The SBIG ST-i normally guides so I will now have to align it to portrait mode to use it with PPA.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/107109-pictures-of-your-set-up/?p=2520494

Andy

In my case as the image below shows The SBIG ST-i normally guides so I will now have to align it to portrait mode to use it with PPA.

Andy

Sorry I must improve my proof reading. :{ that should have read:-

In my case as the image below shows The SBIG ST-i normally guides so I will now have to align it to landscape mode to use it with PPA.

Using a live-view overlay would be kind of neat as long as I don't end up having to support all kinds of video formats and devices. 

Not all kinds of video formats and devices...only the ones I need :evil:

I have downloaded the Canon EDSDK, but of course I am a Windows guy so it won't be cross platform...if I get around to it I might have a go.