Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Night Out Finally

Don_K

I've had the Cometron 12x70s for a week now and last night I was finally able to get out for a 2nd full night of observing with them. It's been incredibly cloudy most of the week and it wasn't until last night that the sky finally cleared considerably. I continue to be impressed by how much these binos reveal. The richness of the area around the Double Cluster and Stock 2 is incredible. So many stars it's hard to describe. And then sweeping up into Cassiopeia between Epsilon and Delta and seeing the many open clusters there it's difficult telling which one is which. Talk about starlight overload. I get a big kick out of being able to see the ET/Owl Cluster, NGC 457, through these. I can just make out the outline of his body. M31 was particularly worthwhile. The Cometrons have a fov of 4.6 degrees and I could tell that the faint outer structure of the galaxy took up a large portion of it. Though faint it was the best sense I've ever had of M31's overall size. Impressive. Collinder 70 in Orion may be the most impressive sight I've seen binocular wise. This is an immensely wonderful field to take in. Again, impressive. The fields in Auriga revealed their many treasures as well: M36M37,M38 but here again the entire constellation is packed with stars. To the east of Mirfak in Perseus is a grouping of stars which contains another OC I think is NGC 1528 which was a new one for me. Though dim it was very apparent with 70mm in my hand. Later on I was able to view Jupiter and 3 of its moons. Io was drowned out by the glare of the planet so I couldn't see that one. Cool view though. 

Clear Skies,

Don

Wow, I didn't know that this was possible with binoculars!

Sure is. Jupiter's disk can be discerned but no detail. And the Galilean Moons are easy except for Io which is drowned out by Jupiter's glare. But with bigger Bins you could probably see it too.

• 1 month later...

Sure is. Jupiter's disk can be discerned but no detail. And the Galilean Moons are easy except for Io which is drowned out by Jupiter's glare. But with bigger Bins you could probably see it too.

Don_K,

I have enjoyed reading your posts about your experiences with your 12x70s.  Last night I managed to resolve all four of the Galilean Moons with my 10x50s for the first time.

Clear skies to you!

Archived