Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone fancy becoming part of my focus group??

I'm doing some work for the European Space Agency (I've sooooo wanted to say that!)  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:   It is not rocket science, or missions to comets etc unfortunately.  It is rather more earth-based, but still interesting and useful I hope.

I'm working on a project through University to develop education resources using data from ESA's SOHO solar archive.  One tutorial has previously been developed by the ESA team.  So before we set about designing new ones and possibly amending the first one too we thought we'd get feedback on the original.  We are trialling this with some students tomorrow, but I thought it might be interesting to get some people on here involved too.  Teachers are obviously particularly welcome!  but actually anyone with an interest would be great.   

I'm attaching 3 word files.  The first is a background note.  The second is the tutorial Determining the Solar Differential Rotation.  The third is a feedback sheet (this is my first attempt at drafting a feedback sheet, so feedback on the feedback sheet also welcome :p ).

Any questions shout

Many thanks

Helen

PS I'm also going to be developing resources for outreach/kids for next year's partial eclipse.  So I'll be back about those too!

1 Background.docx

Tutorial - DETERMINING THE SOLAR DIFFERENTIAL ROTATION hu_v_1.0.docx

Testing ESA Education Resources.docx

Was everything right for you is that what you wanted.

Yes, thanks.  The scoring system just gives a feel for what was good/bad/easy/hard.  The comments are very useful.  And I was particularly interested in the answers to Did you enjoy it? and Did you learn anything?  :grin:

Did you think it was too long for one go?  The students today thought that it was, particularly for school children.  We're thinking of making it a bit more modular - so maybe do the animation as one bit and then get the kids to estimate rotation time 'by eye'.  The next session could then be the calculations.  

We're also thinking of suggesting kids work in pairs and do one latitude measurement each and then compare the results... 

Work in progress!

Thanks again

Helen

Yes it was a bit long for one go modular sounds very good as does pairing up two very good ideas, Yes i learned a lot about the rotation of the sun and sunspots in different latitudes and how to use different programs which after the first time i could do straight away.

Hmm if the earth revolves around the earth, and the observer around the earth..  the observer has both any non-circular earth rotation 365d around the sun and also each 24hrs, the observer has a slight sine'wobble' (off axis).. do you need to count that into the solar rotational measurement?

Helen, this looks interesting and I'll happily give it a go, although my teaching experience was limited to teaching English to non-native Engineers and Engineering Students. My maths is scrapyard rusty.

Hmm, balked at the first step, I can't open the SSA, if I click the link something blue flashes before my eyes and then goes straight to the Aladin download page even though I have this locally. I don't get as far as Section 2-3.

Thanks Ronnie.

I've now attached PDF versions

1 Background.pdf

Tutorial - DETERMINING THE SOLAR DIFFERENTIAL ROTATION hu_v_1.0.pdf

Testing ESA Education Resources.pdf

I'm not sure if the software is compatible with the ipad.  Here's a link to the original pdf on the ESA website http://www.sciops.esa.int/SD/ESAVO/docs/SSA_SolarDiffRotation_Tutorial.pdf   

Helen

Archived