Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 15.11.14. First of the new season.

theo

Jupiter is finally at a point in my location at a time where it is now a viable target for me. This image is the best of around 6 captures from the 15th and it has taken me a lot longer than normal to process!!. It's surprising just how easy it is to forget certain things in the processing regime after a few months away doing deep sky and other things (like some recent Solar imaging :grin: ).

The image is 2 minutes on each channel of RGB with derotation. Seeing was fair I would say, quite wobbly at times but with fleeting moments of more stable air.

Thanks for looking.

Pete

post-22012-0-53281400-1416167420.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lovely start Pete. The detail this early is quite amazing. How do you get seeing like this ? where are you located again ?

Btw what focal length are you at ?

Lots of questions.  I can see you have used quite strong  sharpening, and the blend on the left edge is not seamless. But the detail you have pulled out is quite stunning. My capture recently certainly doesn't contain this level of detail.

That's a lovely start Pete. The detail this early is quite amazing. How do you get seeing like this ? where are you located again ?

Btw what focal length are you at ?

Lots of questions.  I can see you have used quite strong  sharpening, and the blend on the left edge is not seamless. But the detail you have pulled out is quite stunning. My capture recently certainly doesn't contain this level of detail.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the feedback.

The seeing was not that good really, just fleeting moments where a bit of detail was visible on the disc although I do occasionally get good conditions here. Saturn earlier this year was pretty special.  I'm located in Somerset near to Weston- Super-Mare, a couple of miles from the coast.

Focal length for this is around 6m.

I might have another go with this capture just to see if I can improve it, I need the practice after being away from planetary for a while!!

Pete

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the feedback.

The seeing was not that good really, just fleeting moments where a bit of detail was visible on the disc although I do occasionally get good conditions here. Saturn earlier this year was pretty special.  I'm located in Somerset near to Weston- Super-Mare, a couple of miles from the coast.

Focal length for this is around 6m.

I might have another go with this capture just to see if I can improve it, I need the practice after being away from planetary for a while!!

Pete

I do get the feeling that your level of seeing is above what I am used to Pete. As such your average seeing might not be as such for worse locations.

For example if I posted a section of live footage this would tell the whole story.  I suspect being surrounded by houses is not getting the kind of calm I crave unfortunately.

Your processing is also very, detail tuned. And I think you are at the top of your game.

Do have to be careful of those edges though, as I can see the processing in action there.

As you say your being away from it, we all need practice, I certainly did. Good to get it out of the way for when things get better, with Jupiter growing in size

amazing detail this early again. Your going to have another great year I am sure.

Good job Pete and some nice detail coming through - The results so far this season have been very promising, on the rare occasions that the weather allows that is!   Are you managing to pull higher frame rates on the new ASI?   My QHY gives a little over 100FPS on 640x480 for all channels, but can do 200FPS on a smaller ROI for Lum and 150 ish for the colours with good trans.   I'm not feeling an urgent need to upgrade just yet, but it might be nice to get higher than 30FPS on the full frame to catch the moons, provided my HD can keep up.

Fingers crossed for some high pressure and some cold, clear nights :)

Good job Pete and some nice detail coming through - The results so far this season have been very promising, on the rare occasions that the weather allows that is!   Are you managing to pull higher frame rates on the new ASI?   My QHY gives a little over 100FPS on 640x480 for all channels, but can do 200FPS on a smaller ROI for Lum and 150 ish for the colours with good trans.   I'm not feeling an urgent need to upgrade just yet, but it might be nice to get higher than 30FPS on the full frame to catch the moons, provided my HD can keep up.

Fingers crossed for some high pressure and some cold, clear nights :)

Thanks Jake. The main advantage I find over the standard ASI120mm camera is that the ASI120MM-S pulls twice the frame rate at full capture scale (60fps) using the USB 3 connection. Great for the moon and Solar work where capturing at long focal lengths and a small ROI can be arduous for larger features / regions!!

Pete

A  great start to the new season Pete. Lovely detail evident and I know what you mean about the processing aspect. As you know I have been revisiting old/forgotten efforts  to refresh these rusty and rusting cogs as much as anything!  Great image :smiley: .

best regards,

Ralph

Lovely job Pete, very well done. Detail is stunning this early on and everyone is a bit rusty. Living down the road to Neil I know what he means when he asks about the seeing. We just haven't had any!

Regards

Harvey

Archived