SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A 3 Minute Full Frame Sub on an AstroTrac @ 500mm

StuartJPP

Inspired by Mautice Toet (mftoet) recently posting his M45 image and including an individual sub showing the starting point I have decided to share one of mine.

I think my most recent imaging session produced my best collection of subs so far. The image shows the corners of an unprocessed full frame raw image captured on a Canon 5D Mark III coupled with the Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens mounted on the AstroTrac using 3 minute subs (@ ISO 800). Naturally I would like to go deeper (don't we always?), and get more consistency but I think I have reached the limit of what I can achieve. In the top right-hand corner there is obvious elongation, I assume this is attributed more to the optics than the tracking though tracking is far from ideal.

The stars aren't perfectly round as frame to frame produces a consistent drift in the same direction as can be seen in the animation.

Well I hope this inspires others to occasionally include single subs to see what the base is for the images we finally post.

Corner crops (1:1 pixel scale).

gallery_27141_2403_1032709.png

Frame to frame drift with 10 second interval between frames (with a bit of thin cloud thrown in!).

gallery_27141_2403_27657.gif

The end result (with 22 of these frames stacked, the above one being the best of the lot).

15467562940_408529da41_b.jpg

M45 - Pleiades or "Seven Sisters" by StuartJPP, on Flickr

Thanks for looking...

The corners are not to bad, better than my Borg 67 on a crop sensor although thats WIP.

The drift, would have expected some but again could be worse.

Overall I would be very happy with 500mm on an Astrotrac and produce a very nice image like that. :icon_salut:

Cheers everyone...hope to see some RAW single subs from people in future...

That lens looks to be a cracker,   beautiful image BTW.  How do you mount that lens on your astrotrac, must be quite a weight?

Mark

Mark, this is mounted on the AstroTrac Wedge and all balanced on the AstroTrac Head.

• 11 months later...

Zappo its not really good form to post images in other people's topics, best to open a thread for your own image buddy :)

You're right Martin! Maybe a moderator could move my posts into another topic?

Archived