Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL bargain on bay

nightfisher

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mwahahaha.

That didn't last long. Silly seller letting that go for 'Buy It Now' £85. On average, a 2M in good nick, post yr2000 with all std accessories, goes for around £200, on the bay of fleas.

Someone really did get a bargain. The finder alone is maybe worth half of the asking price.

:grin:

Andy

Just to prove that there are bargains to be had occasionally on epay...

Mine has arrived:

IMG_8348.jpg

everything still as original as it left the factory (1995 model) and still in the boxes:

IMG_8349.jpg

Nothing appears to be missing:

IMG_8346.jpg

Just to prove that there are bargains to be had occasionally on epay...

Mine has arrived:

everything still as original as it left the factory (1995 model) and still in the boxes:

Nothing appears to be missing:

Just check that the primary hasn't been swapped for a shaving mirror!  :eek:  :grin:

...I did toy with the idea of getting a 2M but didn't think I had space for the Siberian coffin... :)

yes, it was a bit of a shock to the system :grin: 

I didn't think it would be that big...

as for the mirror - first impressions - it's as good as the rest of the kit

Better inspection will have to wait for change in weather (looks like it is going to be forever :mad: )

But the 2M doubles up as a legit coffin, for the environmentally sound individual. Okay, perhaps a portion of the legs may need to be lopped, but there's always the other box for leftover bits.

So in reality you are saving a load of money.

:) 

But the 2M doubles up as a legit coffin, for the environmentally sound individual. Okay, perhaps a portion of the legs may need to be lopped, but there's always the other box for leftover bits.

So in reality you are saving a load of money.

:)

That had me in stitches, and begs a photo shop pic of a body in these 2M crates

I would love a TAL 2M but just not got the room for one, and we have a nice coffee table, so i cant use the box for that

• 2 weeks later...

There were some disappointments on closer inspection

:huh: 

all the eyepieces and focuser are 32mm  rather than 1.25" (31.75mm)

not a disaster, just a PITA

motor, although working fine and in perfect condition was an early one with plastic gears...

Yeah, if it's blue, it's going to be the older 32mm fitting. Then mid nineties they changed to industry std 1.25" R&P and a white paint. Eventually mid 2000's ish they changed to a steel tube and a 2" R&P focuser, as sometimes seen on the 150 F5 Tal's.

If you want to use other eyepieces other than  the ones that it came with, you just need to change the eyepiece adapter on the focuser, to a modern day 1.25" one. It screws off. Adapters are readily available. Actually, if you were to go down that route, I'd get a 2" eyepiece holder. I've been using my Tal UWA 24mm 95° 2" eyepiece in a 2" cup adapter. Whilst it's field stop is 8mm larger than my 2M's drawtube I/D, it's perfectly usable giving a massive increase in FOV over any 1.25" eyepiece I've got. Slight vignetting/darkening at edge of field, but nothing that is objectionable.

Andy.

Forgot to mention.

In some of the very early Tal coffins, sometimes the foam on the cut inserts, degrades into a gross mush, sticking onto anything. I think I see that in your pics above. Best to replace it with fresh stuff. I had this on my Tal M.

Good to hear that the reduction gearbox attached to the motor is in good condition. The only weak point on the Tal synchronous driven mounts. Synchro motors will probably last a lifetime, but care is needed with the gearbox. When you read  'my Tal motor is broken', it's not the motor, but the gearbox that probably has the final gear mashed to death.

Andy. 

Yeah, if it's blue, it's going to be the older 32mm fitting. Then mid nineties they changed to industry std 1.25" R&P and a white paint. Eventually mid 2000's ish they changed to a steel tube and a 2" R&P focuser, as sometimes seen on the 150 F5 Tal's.

Yes, of my three TALs only one (white body) is 1.25"

If you want to use other eyepieces other than  the ones that it came with, you just need to change the eyepiece adapter on the focuser, to a modern day 1.25" one. It screws off. Adapters are readily available. Actually, if you were to go down that route, I'd get a 2" eyepiece holder.

I was going to hack the 32mm adapter, but if they are readily available I might get one if not too expensive.

Where do you buy them from Andy?

Adapters are readily available. Actually, if you were to go down that route, I'd get a 2" eyepiece holder. I've been using my Tal UWA 24mm 95° 2" eyepiece in a 2" cup adapter. Whilst it's field stop is 8mm larger than my 2M's drawtube I/D, it's perfectly usable giving a massive increase in FOV over any 1.25" eyepiece I've got. Slight vignetting/darkening at edge of field, but nothing that is objectionable.

I have one 2" eyepiece so might try it eventually - thanks for the tip.

All depends how good the mirror is - it looks fine but I would like to try it first

In some of the very early Tal coffins, sometimes the foam on the cut inserts, degrades into a gross mush, sticking onto anything. I think I see that in your pics above. Best to replace it with fresh stuff. I had this on my Tal M.

Yes it is indeed a horrible mess, to be replaced asap!

I put some pics on my flickr page regarding replacing the 32mm eyepiece holder, for another SGL blue 2M owner a while back. Should be a folder/album holding the various pics.

I have built up a vast assortment of adapters over the years and had a 2" cup. An Intes one with the Russian M42x1 camera thread. That should be what you'll find when you screw off your 32mm adapter. Not to be confused with the M42x0.75(aka T2) thread in common astro use nowadays. You'll probably need to get a M42x1(female) to T2(male) adapter, then a 2" cup with female T2 threads. OR, if supplied, use the Tal M42-T2 adapter, meant for use with a Camera. It does have a narrow 'stop' in it, giving an I/D of about 35mm(?). I ground mine down, but if you have access to a lathe, it'll do a neater job. It's a thin stop, so easily done.

I'll go find the Flickr folder and post it up and have a look for 2" ep cups. I'm sure a UK dealer will have something like that. It's a popular item I should think?

Andy.

Thanks Andy,
I vaguely recall (now) the thread about Tal adapters etc.

If one cannot buy easily an adapter to suit, then my plan of brazing new end on 32mm adapter and turning it to suit 1.25" is probably quickest (bearing in mind that I have a lathe etc).

Just hope I have a right piece of tube laying around :grin:

Modern Astronomy http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accAdapters has one listed for £26. I'm sure there are others.

Adapter heaven can be found at Telescope Service in Germany. Ridonculous amounts of weird n varied bits. http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c10_Adaptors.html

2" cup is in here http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c126_Adapter-to-2-.html

I'd like to think your favourite astro dealer may have or be able to get you one. It's not as if it's a particularly weird thread size.

If I had a thread making capable lathe, I would gladly make adapters all day, every day, as long as I was fed and watered. I sometimes worry about my mental health. :angry7:

:smiley:

Andy.

Archived