SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SCT Visual Back

DRT

I have a Celestron C6 with the stock 1.25" visual back with knurled screws that keep the diagonal in place. I want to upgrade the visual back to a 1.25" version with a compression ring rather than screws but can't find one.

I have the option of fitting the Baader 2" SCT adapter but don't want big lumpy 2" stuff hanging off the back of such a small OTA, especially as I use it as a grab-n-go.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a 1.25" visual back with a compression ring?

I am also going down that route ;)

There it is:

Baader 1.25" Click-Lock Eyepiece Adapter/Visual Back

I am still pondering if I should get the 2" right away to futur proof myself as my next scope will be an C8 which as a 2" visual back... Some talk about vignetting, not sure that would bother me a lot.

Baader 2" SCT Click-Lock Eyepiece Adapter / Visual Back (with 2" SCT Thread) # CLSC-2 2956220

"Directly mounts to the 2" SCT male threads (specification = 2", 24TPI) on all popular 5 - 9.25" SCTs (Celestron & Meade)"

The first one you linked to has a T2 fitting at the scope end so you also need to buy the adapter that fits to the back of the OTA and then screws into the T2 thread. Those two bits are north of £100 :eek:

I am going to buy the 2" version that has screws and a compression ring rather than the ClickLock and then put my 2" to 1.25" ClockLock in that to attach my 1.25" diagonal. That will cost me £39 and will give me the option of using my 2" EPs if I choose to, although I don't see the point as the hole in the back of the scope is very small so I wouldn't benefit from the increased FOV.

I am very surprised that no manufacturer seems to make a simple visual back like the stock item but with a compression ring.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll give one of the retailers a call to find out what is available.

YKSE - I've got the William Optics diagonal you linked to. It's the fitting that sits between that and the OTA that I am struggling to find. Baader looks like the most likely solution but it's going to be expensive. I might just settle for the Celestron fitting that I already have an accept that I will have some scratches on the barrel of my new diagonal :rolleyes2:

I thought twice about the ClickLock system before I bought one. One of the best things I ever bought. If you can get one to fit your OTA then I would go for it.

I've already got three ClickLock fittings so know what you mean :cool2:

I've found out that Baader make an SCT to 2" fitting that has knurled screws and a compression ring. I'm going to buy one of those, insert my ClickLock 2" to 1.25" low-profile reducer and bingo, I will have what I need! (plus the option of using 2" accessories if I feel the need)

I have a Celestron C6 with the stock 1.25" visual back with knurled screws that keep the diagonal in place. I want to upgrade the visual back to a 1.25" version with a compression ring rather than screws but can't find one.

I have the option of fitting the Baader 2" SCT adapter but don't want big lumpy 2" stuff hanging off the back of such a small OTA, especially as I use it as a grab-n-go.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on a 1.25" visual back with a compression ring?

Star diagonal, yes.

SCT 1.25" visual back? No.

But here is a possible solution:

--replace the 1.25" visual back with a 2" SCT adapter.  Some of these are quite short, and most have compression rings.

--Use a 1.25" to 2" adapter that has a compression ring in it (these are common).

There you go--a 1.25" visual back with compression ring.

And, if you EVER want to convert to a 2" diagonal, you only need the diagonal.

Plus, this setup would be very very easy to rotate either direction to make the eyepiece more convenient to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found out that Baader make an SCT to 2" fitting that has knurled screws and a compression ring. I'm going to buy one of those, insert my ClickLock 2" to 1.25" low-profile reducer and bingo, I will have what I need! (plus the option of using 2" accessories if I feel the need)

This worked a treat. Those willing to spend double the money should get the ClickLock version.

Archived