Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is this video astronomy all about?

iksobarg

Hello all,

I just arrived via links as the result of looking for night cams.

After checking out q few threads my curiosity is thoroughly piqued.

What exactly is going on here?

And more importantly what do I need to get now?

You're all terrific!

John

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'll start you off with two book-titles/authors:

Video Astronomy by Steve Massey, Thomas A. Dobbins, Eric J. Douglass - Sky Publishing Corp. Revised Edition

Deep-Sky Video Astronomy by Steve Massey, Steve Quirk - Springer

As for equipment, you can get anything from rock-bottom gear all the way up to the Taj Mahal. But I'd suggest learning a bit before jumping in with both feet. Simply put: Video Astronomy brings imaging objects - from planets nearby to DSO's - with Hubble-type colour to the range of all of us.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Hi john.video astronomy is picking up in popularity. .what can you start off with a fixed cctv camera output to a tv..the cctv camera should be to the specs of a Samsung scb2000 it has a sens up feature..basically a bulb mode on a dslr it allows long exposure, this is needed to capture deep sky objects. .these cameras can be fitted to a telescope and gives the same view as a 6mm eyepiece we usually use around an 80mm scope to give a widefield view but focal reducers can be used on these and larger scopes to get better views..to capture the image its better to have a tripod/mount that can track objects due to earth rotation. .we use usb video capture cards to view and save images to computers.

hope this helps. .davy

Help, it does! Thanks!

I'm still in the market for sound mount but in the meantime would love to hook a video cam up to either my f6 70ED or my f5 150Newt.

I still do not know this but is it possible to get a satisfactory view from the camera view through a big screen AND capture images?

My book is ordered but I'm basically thrilled to be able to get into this aspect of AP.

As the result of looking at this thread, is this on target?

http://www.cameras-cctv.com/cameras-c-cs-lens/34S

I have yet to read about loadstar. It sounds like the premier cam/system...

Back to researching (and baking this amazing cheesecake for my family).

John

Hi John,

Good to know your first name. I posted most of the answers to your questions in the other thread. As I said there, if you want to capture images, the best way is to put the PAL signal into a video capture device that will have a USB connection to a computer. There are a number of free video capture programs out there so you can capture the video or a single frame.

Your comment about the Lodestar is interesting, because if you are willing to spend a little more, it's a great way to go, and far easier to use. You won't need a video capture device and the LS plugs right into your computer. Lodestar Live software written by Paul81 is available as a free download here on SGL and is very easy to use. You can get the Lodestars in both mono and color versions. The price here in the US is $599. Not sure what it is in Europe. I think FLO carries them. Here's a link to my gallery of Lodestar images capture with LL software.

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/member/36930-hilodon/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Don

John,

I checked out the link you posted and the camera appears to be something that will work like the Sammy 2000. I'm not sure how you would remotely control it, which is something you want. Maybe someone else here knows. The max integration time is 512x which is about 8 seconds, the same as the Sammy. It should work, but you will still need all the things I described about the Sammy.

That cheesecake sounds delicious. Can we get the recipe or is it a family secret?

Don

Hi Gents,

I've got the scb-2000, power supply in the online basket. Still need exactly which cables? Oh, and pls link a c mount?

When I get home I'll check out lodestar live.

What is the reasonable alternative?

Hi Gents,

I've got the scb-2000, power supply in the online basket. Still need exactly which cables? Oh, and pls link a c mount?

When I get home I'll check out lodestar live.

What is the reasonable alternative?

John,

Here's a link for the c mount. You also need both a power cable and a video cable. Mallincam has a 25ft combo cable for $50 US. Before you pull the trigger on this, add everything up. If you want to capture images you still need the capture device. The total for everything will probably exceed $250 US. And the IR cut filter is another $75. The Lodestar doesn't need any of these accessories and will give you unlimited exposure time with a means of eliminating hot pixels easily. But, if you decide to get the Sammy, you're still in for a lot of fun.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_c2b1.htm

Just another thought. You might want to look at the Mallincam Micro camera package. I think it's about $200 US and includes all the cables, connectors and c mount. Not sure if it has the remote. It is modified for astro use, too. It's really a nice starter package.

Don

Hi john ..the Samsung scb2000 requires the samsung ir filter removed to capture the light we require..tutorials on utube for this..ken..dragonmans is a good one to use..

cables , few options you can get what they call a shotgun cable coaxial with a camera power lead/bnc connection for video on camera. ..75 ohm coaxial cable with bnc..bnc to rca adapter then rca cable to your tv or usb video grabber. .bnc to cat5 cable..cat6 if using over a long distance. .telescope 70 ed perfect for video astronomy. .what mount will you be using...

c mount available from eBay

Hi John,

Don as given you good advice on which way you can go so I won't add to it. But as you have already got the Samsung 2000p in your basket I've made up a list of components you will need

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSD-Inline-remote-controller-for-suitable-Sony-UTC-enabled-CCTV-camera-/161462567809?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2597eb4381

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNC-75ohm-75-RG59-Cable-CCTV-Camera-Lead-15cm-1m-1-5m-2m-3m-5m-10m-20m-30m-50m-/140852310218?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item20cb73b0ca

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-Video-TV-DVD-VHS-Audio-Capture-Card-Adapter-Converter-Record-Grabber-/221546360687?pt=UK_Computing_TV_Tuner_Video_Capture_Devices&hash=item3395312f6f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BNC-Female-Socket-Plug-to-RCA-Phono-Male-Adapter-Connector-For-CCTV-Camera-/281389824359?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item418423f967

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-Mount-Adapter-Adaptor-from-1-25-to-C-Mount-Thread-TS1-C-Connector-New-/370782587873?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item56545d4be1

like I said these are off ebay, it was that it was much quicker for me to find everything and you choose where you want to purchase them from.

one thing I will add is to buy a good quality video cable not the thin cheap ones on ebay, ideally you need 75ohms RG59  which as better shielding than the thin cheap ones, as I have bought these thin ones thinking it would save me money but the fact I had loads of video interference on the screen.

Hope this helps

John

oh and by the way can you bake me a caramel cheese cake and post it over here :tongue:

John, the Lodestar X2 is the mono version. If you want color, it's the X2C. Should be the same price. Sounds like a good price in Euros. Includes the tax, too. If you Google Lodestar Live, there are some YouTube videos that show how to use Lodestar Live and one by John Kramer that shows how easy it is to use. Let me know if you need links.

And put me down for one of those caramel cheese cakes!

Don

This series one-minute astronomy was really helpful

http://oneminuteastronomer.com/10081/video-astronomy-guide-1

I've been undecided on a real mount for months now and am in no hurry still to get one with bells and whistles. I would be happy really just to be able to enjoy the much larger view on a large monitor and do a screen grab. I do have screen grab hard and software though its much older so I'll dust it off and see if it works on win7.

I'm wondering a bit about some to many vid cam images appearing to lack pinpoint stars.

I've decided to go with the Samsung and all the items johnno listed are either on hand or ordered. I've watched a utube vid about the connections and will look up necessary settings. I looking forward to clear skies!!!

Archived