Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'VE JOINED 'CLUB APOLLO' (FINALLY) !

After much deliberation,and lusting after them,I finally took the plunge,and ordered HELIOS APOLLO 15X70 bino's from FLO on tuesday! The wife was quite happy with this, "As you worked hard doing the decorating". Well,I couldn't argue with that,could I? :laugh:     FLO did a great job,and Fed Ex had said binos to my door almost exactly twenty four hours after my order was placed!      First impressions: So much more solid-and heavier-than my Celestron  Skymasters,as I'd expected. The bridge is far more robust.I like the individual focussing- obviously once set,I can forget about focussing again (unless I choose to use them for terrestrial viewing). I was a little concerned about eye relief with these binos,as I wear specs for myopia,but this seems to be no problem.Also,my nose is quite narrow,but the binos also adjust to this no problem! The only slight niggle I have (and this has been mentioned here,previously)is that the main lens caps are rather loose,and prone to easily fall out.Also the rubber double eyepiece cover on my set had a split on the right hand side lanyard 'eyelet',though this poses no problem,as I only secure it on the leftside anyway.    Due to heavy mist,bonfire smoke and firework flashes (CURSE YOU,GUY FAWKES!),I only acheived a quick look-through the bedroom window-of an almost full Moon.The view was almost 3D in it's sharpness and contrast,albeit with some CA -violet fringing to the north,green to the south (to be expected on such a bright object,I suppose). I intend to do a proper 'First light' evaluation and direct comparison of my 15x70's as soon as the weather allows.

Also the rubber double eyepiece cover on my set had a split on the right hand side lanyard 'eyelet

This is a "design feature", not a "fault". It means that you can flick the rainguard over to one side when you are using the bino, instead of hanging across the straps, catching biscuit crumbs, beard-debris, and the slobber that arises when you all but swoon over the fantastic views through the binocular. (Or something like that... :grin: )

I started out with celestron skymasters, followed by Helios Quantum 4 and now enjoy using the Apollo 15x70. Contrast and image sharpness is noticeably improved compared to Celestron and indeed to an extent with the Quantum. The caps over the objective lens dropping can be a bit of a nuisance, though I tend to flex mine and they seem to snap on OK, as mentioned, the split on the eye guard is a feature and not a fault. Yes there were fireworks around here to, which prevented me from using them last night. However it is blissful to so easily set up with an impromptu observing session, particularly when seated and using a monopod, very relaxing. 

I would just like to official say that I hate you! :wink:

I had a couple of tries to purchase a pair of these, but unfortunately FLO seem to have been sold a couple of lemons (first pair had a stuck right focuser, and the second pair wouldn't hold IPD longer than about ten seconds). Had to send them back, and FLO had to take them off the cart on the website till a new batch came in. I since went and bought my Heritage 130P Flexitube, so I'm back to saving the pennies to get a pair of these.

Still want some, because the brief views I got thru the second pair before I sent them back were amazing.

Like I said, bah Humbug to you, Sir! :tongue2:

Mark

This is a "design feature", not a "fault". It means that you can flick the rainguard over to one side when you are using the bino, instead of hanging across the straps, catching biscuit crumbs, beard-debris, and the slobber that arises when you all but swoon over the fantastic views through the binocular. (Or something like that... :grin: )

I stand corrected! Does this mean I have to grow a beard? Maybe not a bad idea,considering the state of my finances,what with the cost of razors,shaving cream...! I still think that the lens caps could be improved though.A minor quibble.

I had an unbranded 10.5x70 version which were excellent. Only let them go due the weight but otherwise couldn't fault them.

Ironically I now have a tripod & grip which could handle these but have now got a lovely pair of mint Russian Tento 20x60s which are much lighter with optics that are as good as the BA8s..enjoy your new bins!

Dave

Congrats on getting a great pair of bins. I must say the objective caps falling off regularly is my only real gripe about them. In all other respects these are great, and great value for money. Last summer I was at Olly's place in France, and with some trepidation compared the view with my Helios Apollo 15x70 to his Leica Trinovids 8x42. I was fearing the improved image quality of the Trinovids would lure me towards even more spending. This wasn't the case. The view with the Leica was superb, and there were subtly sharper, but the added aperture of the Helios Apollo did compensate.

They are certainly super bins. Been enjoying mine for a few months now, and have to say that in spite of having had a scope for few years, the 15x70s helped me to learn a lot more about the late summer sky than I knew before.

I already had a beard, which does seem to be quite important. The lingering flavour of late night Marmite on toast can help boost many an observing session!

In terms of cost versus frequency of use, probably one of the best astro investments I've made.

Enjoy...

Good to see that the Apollos acquitted themselves nicely against the Leicas,Michael.I've just priced them,and you don't get much change from a grand(!),certainly making the Apollos brilliant VFM :smiley: I totally  agree that bins are a brilliant way to learn your way around the sky,'me old China 'and these bins are certainly a keeper. :smiley:  Smiles all round!                                                                                                           

Archived