SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finally got the Alpine Valley central rille... :)

I have been trying to see this lunar feature for a long time and have never managed to see any of it, but tonight its mine! :grin:   Well a part of it anyway, a very thin thread showing opposite 3 craters that form a triangle next to a part of the valley. I was beginning to wonder if the central rille was beyond me or my 10" aperture, but after viewing some craters @ 340x I figured I better give it a serious go. The craters were extremely sharp at this high mag, but I backed off the LZ/VIP a bit to see the rille.

Of course I viewed this in the center of the view with the fast f4.8 scope which is very well collimated and the mirror cooled. Another feature I hope to see again is the Barrow crater ray, while not challenging in the resolution dept, it is very unique. Lunar observing along the terminator can be so satisfying...

Great read and great results, Gerry :grin: So glad you spotted the Valley and had the skies to do so. I don't think I've ever viewed at anything over 250x, but I do recall that the jagged shadows of the Alps are very striking, so to see the Valley must have been the cream topping :smiley:

Nice one Gerry :-)

This is on my target list, have not had a serious go at it yet. The 12" f6 should do it I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Stu, you will see it in your 12" under good skies and when the scope is well collimated and cooled. I needed my fan on to see it, strange how thermals work-which is the least of 2 evils....fan microblur or boundary layer junk. I always try planetary/lunar with and without the fan. The VIP smooths out the LZ @ 2x or more, this EP is phenomenal for this work.

Great read and great results, Gerry :grin: So glad you spotted the Valley and had the skies to do so. I don't think I've ever viewed at anything over 250x, but I do recall that the jagged shadows of the Alps are very striking, so to see the Valley must have been the cream topping :smiley:

Thanks Rob, it has been a process to get high power views here. The rille was seen as a thin thread, not really jaw dropping to say the least, but a prize nonetheless :) The LZ @ 2x for 270x didn't show it so I screwed on the extensions for 340x and took a peak at the craters and walls....I would say I was just at or above 300x for the rille. Given good sky conditions I now view Jupiter@ 300x+ in the 10" and the 120ED goes 240x-250x.

I hope to learn more about the moons movements to cherry pick the times when the features are showing their best. Now I wonder if I can ever see the whole rille lol!

Thanks Rob, it has been a process to get high power views here. The rille was seen as a thin thread, not really jaw dropping to say the least, but a prize nonetheless :) The LZ @ 2x for 270x didn't show it so I screwed on the extensions for 340x and took a peak at the craters and walls....I would say I was just at or above 300x for the rille. Given good sky conditions I now view Jupiter@ 300x+ in the 10" and the 120ED goes 240x-250x.

I hope to learn more about the moons movements to cherry pick the times when the features are showing their best. Now I wonder if I can ever see the whole rille lol!

If you download the Virtual Moon Atlas and select a feature amongst the details shown are the optimum times for viewing.

HTH and good luck.

Archived