Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder scope for a DSLR

cosmojaydee

A friend of mine has that solution, but if you have your camera in tether mode. You can do a plate solve on your computer and the computer then knows where the scope are pointing. There are both web-based services for that and you can do it in Maxim DL too.

A friend of mine has that solution, but if you have your camera in tether mode. You can do a plate solve on your computer and the computer then knows where the scope are pointing. There are both web-based services for that and you can do it in Maxim DL too.

sure , but out in the field this makes a lot of sense 

I used a £5 red dot finder from Astroboot and a £1.99 'cold shoe' on EBay.  A bit of whittling with a craft knife and one blob of araldite later I had the same thing.  It works a treat.

The one you've found at 365 astronomy looks just the ticket and is probably better than mine.

The only problem I have encountered is trying to use it when the camera is pointing near the zenith.

I used a £5 red dot finder from Astroboot and a £1.99 'cold shoe' on EBay.  A bit of whittling with a craft knife and one blob of araldite later I had the same thing.  It works a treat.

The one you've found at 365 astronomy looks just the ticket and is probably better than mine.

The only problem I have encountered is trying to use it when the camera is pointing near the zenith.

Well Worzel Gumidge never struggled, but I suppose being able to take your head off works

Archived