Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD ASCOM Setup - "Invalid Parameter" error...

Originally posted in "Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice", however in retrospect I suspect this forum branch might be more correct.

----------------------

Ok, so I've recently installed all ASCOM drivers and EQMOD, Stellarium, Stellariumscope etc. on my new Windows8.1 laptop.

I am connecting to my NEQ6Pro mount directly through a HitecAstro EQDIR Adapter.

However, when starting up Stellariumscope and selecting my mount, it forces me to the setup-screen since its the first time I run it.

This is fine and all... However, when I've entered my info etc. and press OK - I get the message: "Invalid Parameter".

I see someone else on this forum has had this problem before, but I did not get any wiser from reading the answer which apparently solved the problem for the person in question.

The answer was: "Try using the toolbox application that installs with EQASCOM to delete the ini files. EQASCOM, when it runs (or when the setup screen runs) will then create new ones with defaults assigned."

I don't get that... And I mean... I don't get that.. like.. at all...

Here's a screenshot of my glorious error message:

ASCOM setup Error

If anyone could spoon-feed me how to solve this - I'd be eternally grateful. :)

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Have a look here:

Ok, so I want to just use toolbox to delete the .ini file, then start the ASCOM EQMOD Setup screen again in order for it to create a new .ini file with defaults - and the fill in my own information?

Wont I just get the same error message again?

Your sceen shot it too small to read properly but could it not just be the case that you're entering an out of range value into one of the setup fields - EQMOD does range check the values and will put up that message box to advise you something is wrong.

Chris.

The values are identical to the values on my old laptop - which works.

Although, if I enter setup with the old computer, that too gets the error message... But at least it lets me connect to my mount without forcing me into setup beforehand.

New laptop forces me to enter setup screen since its first time starting up - and I am unable to avoid the error message - thus proceeding no further.

I have gotten a few pointers from Zakalwe though, which I will try out next wednesday when I got two whole days with no rain... (my observatory splits down the middle, so I cant do rubbish when it rains. :(

If you put the same settings in your old computer, and you get the same error then that kind of confirms you are entering something EQMOD is objecting to? I realise you want to keep your site details private (smart move) but it may be something to do with your locale settings i.e. - commas for decimal points? (or vice verca). Also make sure the longitude/lattitude fields are completely empty before you enter new values - it may be there are extra characters on the end that are causing problems.

Chris.

If you put the same settings in your old computer, and you get the same error then that kind of confirms you are entering something EQMOD is objecting to? I realise you want to keep your site details private (smart move) but it may be something to do with your locale settings i.e. - commas for decimal points? (or vice verca). Also make sure the longitude/lattitude fields are completely empty before you enter new values - it may be there are extra characters on the end that are causing problems.

Chris.

Using . for comma, yes. Is that bad?

Will confirm that the boxes are completely empty before entering longitude/latitude.

And yes, since everything is logged these days, anonymity online is increasingly important. :)

EDIT: I just booted up my laptop and checked. My coordinates are whole numbers with no commas, so thats not the issue. Also, there were no hidden characters or numbers in the boxes. All clean.

I think I need to get laptop connected to the mount before trying this again. Been doing this disconnected because I cant access the scope during rain. (observatory splits down the middle, and mount and scope would be exposed...)

I helped a friend who was getting the same error message. He'd inputted his location in GPS decimal rather than lat/lon degrees. Are all the the location values below 60?

No.

I got a higher than 60 value in the last square on the latitude.

I pulled these numbers straight off my GPS at the location btw.

Using . for comma, yes. Is that bad?

Some countries use commas some use dots. EQMOD will accept the format as defined by your windows locale settings - when EQMOD attempts to convert a test entry to a number it uses an windows API call that will use your locale settings to parse the input - so if your windows regional setteings for Norway show thenumber format as uing a comma as a decimal separator then that it what EQMOD will be expecting to see.

Chris.

Ok, I've got it fixed.

Just got back from a little trip down to the observatory.

Seems it was indeed my longitude and latitude numbers that were a bit off. There was no period or comma problem though. The numbers were simply "wrong". Why the numbers on my original laptop were accepted two years ago I don't know... :p

I downloaded a GPS coordinates app on my mobile phone before going down there. Entering the numbers from it did the trick. Now everything finally works. Guiding scope actually connects, mount connects... Its all good. :)

Gonna head into town now to get me a one - three 12V cigarette splitter. Gonna let the mount and dew-strips share a 30Ah battery instead of having separate ones.

My setup should be good for at least 12 hours of unattended imaging now, the laptop and imaging camera sharing a 60Ah battery, and mount & dew-strips sharing a 30Ah. :)

Thank you everyone for allot of valuable input! :D

Alveprinsen

Archived