Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P

Sky-Watcher have just announced the new Star Discovery 150P f/5 goto telescope featuring:

150mm (6") aperture parabolic newtonian reflector.

New computerised goto mount - Star Discovery. Upgraded version of the popular AZ Go-to mount with FreedomFind dual encoders - allow you to manually move the telescope without losing alignment.

post-36613-0-89509600-1414752280_thumb.j

A great beginners scope!

This is currently available and ready to ship. Please see our website for more details: Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am amazed at the level of tech and features that companies are now able to include with their products.

The FreedomFind is going to be a brilliant addition to the mount.

Ant

I know what you mean Ant - it amazes me that this is a 6" scope on a full goto mount for less than £400 - that's a lot of technology and aperture for the money...

They could have least slapped a 2" focuser on it !

I wonder if it was partly due to weight saving? Not only would it save weight with the focuser, but add a 2" eyepiece or camera then you might be over the payload limit, plus balance could be a problem.

Still it looks like a worthy upgrade to the existing AZ goto's :)

Edit: just clocked the price, 385 pounds ! Skywatcher have done good ! Are there any other models planned ??

I wonder if it was partly due to weight saving? Not only would it save weight with the focuser, but add a 2" eyepiece or camera then you might be over the payload limit, plus balance could be a problem.

Still it looks like a worthy upgrade to the existing AZ goto's :)

Edit: just clocked the price, 385 pounds ! Skywatcher have done good ! Are there any other models planned ??

It comes with a 2x barlow with a camera adaptor ?

Edit: just clocked the price, 385 pounds

Oh yes, thanks ! Am I going blind or has it just been reduced ? cud av swore it was more 'tother day !

There was mention in the pdf manual about camera and aux attachment plates or brackets or something ? I'll go re-read.

So, do we know what the gearing is ? Spur or worm ??

It comes with a 2x barlow with a camera adaptor ?

Standard issue with the AZ Goto's, maybe for quick Moon shots and the like at f/10, I don't know?

I notice that the 130p AZ goto has a 2" focuser so it is interesting that the new 150p version doesn't? I could be wrong about the weight issue then, maybe its price point which lets face it is rather good. 

• 7 months later...

I was all settled with an ED80 for my next scope.

What if you attached a camera, would the motor take it?

Cheers,

Mark

A webcam for planetary should be fine.

A DLSR for deep sky wouldn't be so great because:

- probably wont reach focus

- 1.25" focuser will vignette the image if it does reach focus

- Its on an alt/az mount not an EQ mount needed for long exposures.

Thanks Chris,

I thought the goto system on it would also track?

Looks like a good telescope though..

Cheers,

Mark

It will track, but in altaz not EQ, so the image would rotate and blur. If you kept the exposures down to a few seconds or less you might get away with it, but that wouldn't give very satisfying images.

Fine for webcam lunar/planetary, but not really up to deep sky imaging.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, i just got this as a "get back into hobby" scope, i must say its a lovely bit of kit for £344 delivered !!! i got a 12.5mm SW Super Plossl for a first upgrade,

wondered what other ep's would match the scopes ability as i read the supplied MA's are only adequate ?

Don't want to spend a fortune on ep's however as scope initial price doesn't warrant it so maybe £40 per ep if you could advice ?

Also, the only real let down for me upon first view was the budget focuser, obviously supplied to keep cost low...but, does anyone know what upgrade

crayford style would fit this tube dia ?? i appreciate some basic metal work would need doing.

If anyone wants to know anything further about this scope feel free to ask.

Thanks for any advice.

Lee.

• 1 month later...

hum, this got me confused. how exactly is this freedomfind different from synscan? i see that the controller has no screen for input...

also, this accepts dovetail, but the dovetail is not visible. can the mount be purchased separately? would it work with the synscan azgoto motor unit? can one mix and match? i am asking because i was toying with the idea of having a short newt on my azgoto synscan platform. can one purchase a short dovetail newt separately (sans rings)?

You can undo the clutches and move the telescope by hand in either direction. When you engage the clutches again it knows where it is (if you had previously aligned it). It is a mount that can be enjoyed manually. You can't move your mount manually you have to use the handset. This mount is different.

I think the above is correct as it works the same as the virtuoso mount.

Archived