SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Additional equipment for Celestron 9.25" Evo

Hi,

I finally got a tiny opportunity to use my new (and first) scope! During autumn in Gothenburg there won't be many holes in the sky.

So while awaiting the crispy and clear winter days I do now at least got a hunch of the capacity of my gear and what I will miss.

Currently I have a Celestron 9.25" (Evolution) with included 1.25" eyepieces (40 & 13mm) and a diagonal.

I've added a Vixen 8-24mm 1.25" zoom, dew shield and 9" heat band.

Initially I will do only visual observing of both planets and DSOs. Though astrophotography is tempting, it's also a lot of money involved and I think that I should put my money on visual equipment instead.

Now I got three questions for all the experts out there:

1. I have been looking at the Baarder ClickLock system. Really nice and safe. And manageable with stiff fingers in -10deg Celsius.

The mounting would be like this: SC scope <-> 2" ClickLock SC adapter <-> 2" ClickLock diagonal <-> 1.25" ClickLock adapter <-> 1.25" eyepieces

And yes, it's a 2" system all the way except for the eyepieces. I will probably buy some 2" eyepieces next year or so.

I'm pretty sure those parts will fit nicely into each other but will the 1.25" view be distorted or suffer with this combination?

I've also read about some guy that scratched or cracked the diagonal mirror with a long necked 1.25" eyepiece. Should I be worried?

2. When watching the moon I realized that only a 13 or 8mm on the scope won't be enough to see the other planets. I will probably need a Barlow 2x or 3x right away.

The Televue Powermate seems to be nice quality. Again the 2" with a 1.25" adapter are available in 2x and 4x power.

Would any of those two be a good choice or should I go for a 3x or another brand/model?

3. Filters are the third thing on my list. I want to change the filters quickly but filter wheels contains too few slots.

A filter drawer would fit my need perfectly. Especially since the drawer slot may contain either 2" or 1.25" filters.

I've been looking at the TS Filter Quick Changer.

Pros and cons regarding this filter drawer?  

Of course I'm also interested in your over all opinion about my plans for additional equipment.

Some will probably say that I should prioritize a micro focuser and I can after the first usage of the scope understand that thought.

It's hard to get the focus right. And a good focuser may cost 250£ or so. Is it really that good?

Thanks!

You don't need a barlow with a C925 unless it is for AP of planets.

For visual you won't get too many nghts when you can use an 8mm. I find a 13mm just a bit underpowered for most planets. My most used eyepiece is a 10mm giving x235 - plently of power and hits the target for detail and contrast the x1 per mm ideal magnification gives.

I use the feathertouch focusser. It is a quality piece of kit and has been my best buy.

From a personal point I love my Baader Clickloc system and my Baader 2" diagonal. The diagonal oozes quality and makes my 1.25" diagonal look like a toy. I will admit that I can only compare it to the items that came with my scope.

I have a 2" - 1.25" Baader adapter and have no problems with distortion of view when looking through my 1.25" 40mm EP that came with the scope or my 10mm Celestron Luminous EP. Neither of which hit the mirror of the Baader diagonal.

Regards

You don't need a barlow with a C925 unless it is for AP of planets.

For visual you won't get too many nghts when you can use an 8mm. I find a 13mm just a bit underpowered for most planets. My most used eyepiece is a 10mm giving x235 - plently of power and hits the target for detail and contrast the x1 per mm ideal magnification gives.

So perhaps I should put that barlow bucks on a high quality 8 or 9mm instead. That would give me about 280x magnification which will require a really clear sky. I should just await the average sky conditions at my location for a year.

Hi Ya Gotgazer and a very warm welcome to the SGL fella, very nice scope mate you already have some nice quality add ons - before spending any money just get to know the scope and just use what you have for now.  We have a little bit of a Planet "drought" as non are well placed for viewing at a reasonable hour, I've not used the Vixen zoom, but stick with it and just see from different nights how you get on with the atmospheric seeing - its only going to be really noticeable on the Moon and Planets - the moon not so bad as its nice and bright and close, the Planets however will go from very nice high powered views( using maybe a range of 9mm at best!! to 13mm EP's) for your high power work, remembering to let each object get as high as possible above the horizon for the best "seeing" - then some nights you may only be able to use say, around the 13 - 20mm EP's give or take magnification either side of these focal lengths - as said - try to get a feel for the scope and keep changing EP's to see which is best for your sky conditions for any given night - you'll never get the same conditions night after night and conditions can vary a great deal.

Also have a go at the DSO's, depending on your level of light pollution, have a tour of the objects from "tour" mode on the handset - start with the brighter Messier's and work your way around them, using GOTO, try for each object - if its not visible, just try to increase the Mag a little to make the background sky darker to increase the contrast on the object.

Just enjoy what you have already purchased - the Planets can wait a while - on the Moon you can really increase the Mag to fill the EP's with "Luna Lovliness!!" work your way across the Terminator looking at the crater wall relief and shadows cast - just at the right time and place you can see the central peaks of some craters in sunlight while threst of the crater is in darkness - gives you a real sense of the dimensions and scale from night to night.

ENJOY!!

Paul.

Archived