SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from South wales.

Daf Vinci

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself and have a good look around the forum to help with getting started with astronomy.

I live right on the borders of swansea & Carmarthenshire in South Wales right on the black mountains and love being out in the pitch black gazing upwards. So we have decided to take the plunge and buy a telescope setup and emerge ourselves in the hobby.

We are aiming to get a Skywatcher Explorer 200p with the EQ-5 mount to start and then when funds allow will buy the synsync GOTO system to add to it. Mostly we will be observing from our back garden which is fairly dark as we are on the bottom of the mountain, but will also be doing long nights up the mountain where it is pitch black and the skies are incredible. When we have enough experience awe would also like to try astro photography but not for a while.

Anyway, I won't bore you anymore.

Dafz.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Daf. As you say, skies around here can be stunning, if I remember correctly!

The 200p is a great scope under our dark skies. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Jason

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself and have a good look around the forum to help with getting started with astronomy.

I live right on the borders of swansea & Carmarthenshire in South Wales right on the black mountains and love being out in the pitch black gazing upwards. So we have decided to take the plunge and buy a telescope setup and emerge ourselves in the hobby.

We are aiming to get a Skywatcher Explorer 200p with the EQ-5 mount to start and then when funds allow will buy the synsync GOTO system to add to it. Mostly we will be observing from our back garden which is fairly dark as we are on the bottom of the mountain, but will also be doing long nights up the mountain where it is pitch black and the skies are incredible. When we have enough experience awe would also like to try astro photography but not for a while.

Anyway, I won't bore you anymore.

Dafz.

Hi and welcome, your not far from me I believe, we have nice skies around here, very lucky.

Hello and welcome! It sounds like you are living on a exciting place! Maybe a remote observatory up in the mountains? You do not need the synscan hand control to get GOTO. You only need a cable from your mount to your computer called EQDIR or EQ-Direct cable.

Hi Dafz and welcome to SGL, I can recall the incedible skies you talk about, for many years whilst on fishing holidays, my Father and I used to fly fish at night on the R. Towy for Sea Trout and Salmon, above Llandovery, through the village of Cilycwm and on up towards Rhandirmwyn in the Black Mountains.  Skies I have never seen the like of and will most probably never see again, amazing, enjoy your Astronomy :) 

Thanks Glowjet. I still fish the river for Sewin and salmon now and the tawe too. Love being out at night under the stars no matter what hobby I am doing at the time. The wildlife is amazing too :-)

Archived