Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help with registax

PaulCH

Hi

I took my photos of the moon on Tuesday - they look good on the camera screen! anyhow after buying a reader to fit into the usb port and uploading them. they were RAW images, which I couldnt open. So I downloaded the NEF from Nikon and can now open them

I have now downloaded Registax 6 including latest update, and went to upload the moon files only to find that registax doesnt recognise NEF files.

what do i do??

Paul

Normally for a Lunar Stack image one would capture video.as the thing moves so fast, or rather we do.

You don't mention, mounts, scope, tracking, etc, but even when you can get your stacking software to recognize your stills you will have to be mighty good with selecting align points, and even then it might throw everything after the 1st frame away.

Hence why, tube tutorials mention frame rates in x/per second rather than 1 x 2 seconds.....

A couple of thousand frames over a couple of minutes, is a whole lot different to 5 or 6 frames of 20 seconds exposure un-tracked

I've not yet succesfully stacked Lunar Stills from a static tripod and camera lens.

Try capturing in Video if you can,and go from there.

Not so , full disc images with a DSLR are a great way of getting the whole thing in one go rather making a multi-panel mosaic from numerous planetary camera captures ...  :smiley:

Shooting a hundred or so stills and then stacking the best 20-30 gives very detailed images and is much easier than a mosaic , same applies to full disc Solar imaging.

JamesF has produced a very good tutorial to get one started ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184192-full-disc-lunar-imaging-with-a-dslr/?hl=%2Blunar+%2Bstacking#entry1937750

I've just been trying Registax again and yet again cannot get it to actually align my moon photos. I'm also taking stills, but I tried it with just 4 stills as a test, and it completely failed to align them. I tried the guide you linked, but, like all the other tutorials I've see, it assumes that the alignment works and I have never seen it work once. The camera saves the wrong type of movies. I've just found a setting that may alter that, but for now all the videos I shot are not compatible with registax.

Archived