Narrowband

NGC 7008

Helix

Hi all,

I observed recently NGC 7008 - PN in Cygnus. Just want to share what I could see in my 10" DOB. This planetary is nice to look at and spend a little bit more time. It has bright rim but the left side looks brighter than right one. Shape is irregular. The darkest area is at SW. I tried O111 and UHC. Both filters worked well. They increase contrast. This object also relatively easy observe without filters. The central star is visible with direct vision. For those who like nebula (s) and DSO, I would recommend to observe and study it. Unusual.

Also I saw double at NW/SE right under the planetary. Nice combination, 2 in 1.

I would appreciate your comments or recent observation of this PN.

REGARDS,

Helix :)

Thanks for posting , often there is so much in Cygnus it can be a real fly by to check out everything.

Last saw this in mid July. The " Fetus Nebula " is a quite remarkable planetary. O'Meara includes it in his " Hidden Treasures ".

It stands out at low magnification, at x100 the details of this curved shape can be teased out. The apparent stars are condensations within the nebula shell, quite an extraordinary target on the boundary of Cygnus,

Nick.

Thanks , Nick. I appreciate your comment. I agree that 2 of three visible "stars" are condensations according to O'Meara but one of them is 13th-magnitude central star which appears offset slightly from the center to the west. It is easy recognisable object.

Kepple and Sanner "The night sky observer guide" book says that NGC 7008 better to be observed with 12" and larger aperture. I saw many details and even a pair of stars of 14.5 magnitude with my 10" dob. I am sure it also can be observable with smaller scopes but with less details.

Regards,

Tatyana

I note that I observed The `Fetus Nebula` on Sept 24th; it my first sighting of this object and I did linger over it a while, and as Nick says; a bit of extra detail can be teased out ............glad you too got to see it.  :smiley: 

Archived