Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 at last

asset189

Spent literally hours looking for M33 over the past year with out sucess, blamed my failure on everything from light polution to poor seeing and even began to doubt my equipment. Then at long long last I found it with the 15x 70 bins the other night and now every time i look at triangulum M33 almost jumps into my field of view, the size of it was probably my undoing initially but the moral of the store i suppose is stick with it and youll succeed . Now for M51

I was almost obsessed with trying to view m33 a while back . Despite doing it all wrong ( light polluted back garden , often not letting my eyes adapt for long enough)

But I managed the central core a couple of times and even that was very very faint and needed averted vision . But I hear such good things about low mag / dark sky = great views .

I was still happy enough to view the core and tick off a list . But let's be honest I never really seen it in all its spender. I've heard a few mention bins are a good way to go on theTriangulum

M33 is famously elusive. I find it an easy target under dark skies usually, but even in uber-dark Northern Spain this year, I found it a tricky one to spot. I want to try the Dob on it from the Park but I'm not convinced I'll find it - it's the surface brightness that's so low.

The other challenging little tinkers include M51, as you mention, M74 (The "Phantom Galaxy") and M101 (The Pinwheel). It's those nearby face-on spirals - their so spread-out that you can't discern them from the skyglow!

DD

It is only easy once you have found it!! I spent ages trying to get this one.

M51 will be a breeze......if the seeing Is right, the sky dark enough, MK1's fresh.... See if you can get the bridge between the twin bright centres.

Paul

M33 is quite huge and obvious by eye from a dark site. It spins out of the wide end of Triangulum and you wonder how you can't spot such a big thing from town !

In the scope the spiral arms can be just made out, there appears no bright centre, just more surrounding glimmer.

M51 and NGC 5195 will show at best the two bright knots and sometimes the structure that appears to link them. Under dark sky it's a quite wonderful sight. As is the nearby but elusive M101,

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an object that goes from good to bad from night to night. I have been on it a few times in the last 6 weeks. Some nights you wonder how it can vary so much, it is an object that need a dark site but most of all good transparency and that is some that has been fairly rare this year.

Alan

Bins are definitely the way to spot it............plus experience. Like you I spent some time looking with a telescope to no avail but saw it with my 10x50s last summer at a dark site. However I have only just realized I can see it in the bins from home too!! It's big that's for sure, and very different from Andromeda in that the core doesn't stand out much more than the rest. However it fills a great area with averted vision. Heck, I even put the 3" scope on it last night and could make some of it out!!

Having said that, it was remarkably transparent for a bit last night, and Andromeda was suggesting more of its enormous scale than normal. M33 is definitely subject to conditions.

Archived