SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Great fireball just

Sometimes walking the dog has its benefits - just saw a great fireball from Brownhills west Mids it was low down in the west travelling from South to North at 23:48pm long smoky tail must have been 1.5 outstretched hands wide at arms length and eventually broke up into pieces before fading. Moving relatively slow as was able to run back along the street to prevent it getting hidden from view behind roofs. I'm useless at detecting colours but think it had a slight yellow tinge. Anyone else clock it?

Excellent spot. Fill out a fireball report on the Society for popular astronomy website in the meteor section. You may find others have seen it from elsewhere so a track can be calculated via triangulation. I did this in 2011 when i saw a fireball and was substantiated by others elsewhere in UK

stu

Sometimes walking the dog has its benefits - just saw a great fireball from Brownhills west Mids it was low down in the west travelling from South to North at 23:48pm long smoky tail must have been 1.5 outstretched hands wide at arms length and eventually broke up into pieces before fading. Moving relatively slow as was able to run back along the street to prevent it getting hidden from view behind roofs. I'm useless at detecting colours but think it had a slight yellow tinge. Anyone else clock it?

It might have been some SGL mods burning up on re-entry as they are not happy tonight with me :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

My son saw it from here on the Wirral, going south to north about 30 degress above the horizon over Wales.  3 pieces came off it and the colour was mainly orange and yellow and with some small amounts of blue seen by other observers, lasted about 4 seconds. 

Was it over head in the west midlands?

Tony.

Yes, I also saw it, I was on the M60 driving to Manchester Airport. I first thought it was a plane but thankfully it was a fireball. As described by others and looked a greenish blue to me. Must have been spectacular at a dark site.   :smiley: 

No Peter,  considering that the meteor guys with coverage over the midlands,  image in all the hours of darkness, I'm surprised no one caught it.

I saw 2 terrific ones over head while out with the scope tonight., but never had the cam running. :embarrassed:

Archived