Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moire type pattern in solar image.

I had a very short time with a PST today. I used my Neximage 5 and registax and got a half-way decent shot, but I'm wondering what the moire pattern is from. I had too much glare on my computer screen to see it during recording, but it's not an artifact of Registax, as it's present throughout the original video file. I had a 2x barlow in and bin 4x. My best guess is the binning, but I didn't have time to try a 2x.

Sun 10 28 2014

This is the interference pattern caused by the very narrow Ha wavelength in the glass cover of the CCD chip.....

It can be very annoying!!

Not all cameras suffer this problem, some are better than others.

If you can slightly tilt the camera relative to the incoming beam, this changes the effective "thickness" of the glass cover, and can sometimes suppress the Newton Rings.

I get this sometimes with my QHY camera. Tends to be worse with a barlow in place (I don't see it at all without the barlow) although some barlows seem to make it worse than others.

Allowing the image to drift across the sensor a little and then stacking the result also helps to reduce their prominence.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived