Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any tips on Mercury?

As the title says

- Mercury on November 1st is quite a long way away from the sun, even visible in darkness for a small period of time during the morning, then it is a good distance away from the sun before sunrise.

I live in Stevenage and I am really not sure how to go about getting a glimpse of it.

I would like to take a photo but it will only be a simple one with a digital camera.

Does anyone have any tips on how to view it?

I think it is from 6degrees (when it is dark in the morning) up to 14 degrees above the horizon.

The weather forecast is good too for Friday night through to Saturday morning.

I always enjoy hunting out Mercury in the morning or evening twilight.

I usually study Stellarium to get an idea how it will look. 

On that date Arcturus will probably be a good marker ( don't get them mixed up ).

I tried several times before I first observed Mercury. In the end I was staying at a Cornish campsite with a clear view over the sea to the west. I was surprised how bright Mercury was and how long after the sun set it was visible. No detail seen with my 15 x 70 bins. My advice find somewhere with a really clear view of the horizon and wait for a clear morning or evening.

Goof luck!!

Archived