Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Session - November 21 / 22, 2014

L8-Nite

Hi Folks,

Our next South Wales Group Observing Meet will be held on.......  FRIDAY - Nov. 21st.  at the Blaenavon radio tower site.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, I propose SATURDAY - Nov. 22nd. as an alternate window of opportunity; so consider keeping these two nights open if you can.

For those who haven't attended before, the site coordinates are.......

+51*  47'  25.57"  ,  -3*  4'  10.74"

Since some of you have to travel far, (including me) I'll post if the meet is going ahead based on several predicted weather and seeing forecasts. Check this thread in the afternoon, on the day, to see if its either a  " GO  or  NO GO ".

Hopefully we will get lucky with the weather this November.

Clear skies to us all ! 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mike- its worth trying something different I guess- our completion rate on these meets due to weather is not even 30% this year so definitely worth a go.

Personally Saturday works best fo me but you gotta cast the net as wide as possible in the Autumn and definitely worth a try

I've put it in the calendar, it'd be great to meet up with you guys again and get some more of those skies :D

It will depend on how the energy & clouds equation works out though!

I guess Saturday is more likely for me, too. Will you be there both nights if they're both clear? :):D:)

............................. Will you be there both nights if they're both clear? :):D:)

Our observing meets are informal get together's which are scheduled close to the New Moon. "One" session a month is scheduled because most of us are spread over a wide area and have to travel far; as an example, I have a 78 mile round trip.

Should anyone like to get together for a following night, or an impromptu observing session, (and its been done it before) he or she should send a PM to others to test the waters, and if there's enough interest, post a short notice thread. It's always a good idea to observe with others when away from home for safety reasons. 

Saturday is better for me but depending on the weather forecast it shouldn't be too much of a problem to finish work a bit early on the Friday to get up the site before it's too dark.

Ordered myself a 0.63 focal reducer yesterday from FLO so plenty of time between now and the next meet for the inevitable resulting cloud to pass over.

James

I finish work at 12th on Fridays so it's not an issue or me though most will struggle to set up in the light on the other hand would I be right in say Wales will be playing rugby on the Saturday so looks like you couldn't please everyone which ever day is picked. After my recent disappointments I'm just looking forward to go out again and looking up with friends and bread pudding once again.

You're right Steve, it's Wales v New Zealand on the Saturday which may be an issue for some. If it's cloudy on the Friday I will do my best to stay sober for the game.... Although a lot depends on the result!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Making an early call. Tonight's observing meet at the Blaenavon site is canceled, it's a " NO GO ".

Saturday night's forecast is looking bleak also, however that may change by tomorrow, so I will post

another call in the early afternoon. 

Note: * 

*  We've been unlucky for the past several months, and although the New Moon phase is the best time 

to schedule our observing meets, I would like your thoughts on posting a short notice observing session

for the following weekend if the forecast for a clear night looks good; even though the Moon will be in its

first quarter. It would be nice to have at least one get together a month if the opportunity arises.

Your thoughts ? 

I'll rule myself out for next Friday Mike as it's the office party but depending how that goes, Saturday might be a possibility.

Makes sense to cancel tonight early and I agree, tomorrow is not looking promising either.

James

Yeah James, with the Christmas Season fast approaching, many of us are going to

have family activities and other commitments during the next few weeks, so it looks

like the third or fourth week in January before the next scheduled Observing session.

Yeah James, with the Christmas Season fast approaching, many of us are going to

have family activities and other commitments during the next few weeks, so it looks

like the third or fourth week in January before the next scheduled Observing session.

mike that's true but on the other hand lots of us have got time off over the christmas period so it may be worth posting short notice meets as and when the conditions prevail and if that's not a go perhaps it's a case of anyone who is available or fancies an evening out over the christmas period just post for an unofficial short notice night out and finds out if there's any company available.

Archived