SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star adventurer

gary1968

Got me a shiny red star adventurer at Kielder star party....

I just intend to use my standard canon kit lenses to start with, anyone care to recommend a decent lens to compliment the 1000d on a star adventurer.

Gaz

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky you, I'm itching for mine to be delivered.

A lot of people use older prime lenses instead of the more expensive modern ones, you can pick these up for about 15 each.

I have and old Vivitar 200mm f3 and a can't remember the make 135mm 3.5 but yet to try them out.

Both have different fitments, ones a M42 and the other is an Olympus but these can be fitted using an adapter.

Yeah, I think I got the last new one in the country, it was a demo on the Wide Screen Centres stand, got a but if a bargain too.

I have a niffty fifty, might give that a try.

Gaz

Yep, got mine today as well. Thanks FLO.

Bit gutted its not the shiney red of the other ones but it doesn't matter when you're using it in the dark, I guess it cost too much so changed to a matt red.

Will post a pic of my intended setup this evening.

SW Star Adventurer arrived today courtesy of FLO, think I'm going to need a more rigid tripod, and some clear skies.

Dave

attachicon.gifSW-Star-Adventurer.jpg

70-200f4L? Virtually the same setup that I'm using.

I use a DV-7000 tripod with mine (or rather, the couple of times that I have been able to use mine). very very solid and a bit of a bargain at under £90.

70-200f4L? Virtually the same setup that I'm using.

I use a DV-7000 tripod with mine (or rather, the couple of times that I have been able to use mine). very very solid and a bit of a bargain at under £90.

Hi Stephen, thanks for the tripod info, am getting Canon 300mm f4 so bit more weight, watched a couple of YT reviews of it and people seem fussed about the head locking not being strong enough, obviously won't be panning around with  the Star Adventurer on it so once locked do you think it's strong enough, like the look of the leg spread, looks really solid.

Dave

Cobbled together a makeshift L bracket today at work out of a short dovetail and a dod of aluminium.... That'll do until my proper one arrives. At least I can get to try my adventurer now, if the bloomin sky clears.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to have my first long go with the SW Star Adventurer and have a problem, spent a while getting it PA'd then took a few pics using Canon 300mm f/4 and was getting eggy stars, on doing a bit of investigating the mount appears to be tracking too fast or slowly, not sure which, but it's not drifting north or south.

What focal length are folks using, is 300mm too much ?

Is there any way to adjust the tracking speed ?

Could guide it out but I really wanted this for a quick grab and go, just the mount and camera.

Dave

I will be using mine for the first time tonight, hopefully all goes well.

Polar scope didn't really need aligning, if I'm going above 200mm then I may give it a tweek but for now I will leave it just in case I mess it up.

Archived